Breeding L397s and some advice required regarding bloodlines.

Jan 8, 2016
UK
Hi everyone.
I have a group of 8 L397s, 5 of which are adults, 2 males and 3 females, then some younger ones at 7 cms total length, I think are 1 male and 2 females. These are F1s purchased from someone I know, who is now selling off his original Wild caught adult breeding group, they are parents of mine. Mine may have different parents out of the group, as I bought from 2 different batches but I'm not certain of this. He has more males than females, in a group of 9. Obviously it would be completely ludicrous to keep 17. But I'm wanting to mix some of the breeding group with some my group so I end up with a good sex ratio of breeding and non breeding adults. Then I will subsequently sell on a combination of breeding ones and non breeding ones. Obviously I will watch closely for which of his adults are actively breeding. I'm considering keeping his adults so I have all F1 stock in the future, but I'm actually quite attached to mine. :) What could this do to the bloodlines. And obviously if I sell all mine on someone else could end up with an inbreeding problem. Three are already reserved to go with a trio and a group of four F1s in different parts of the country to make up a breeding group for a friend. What's the best way forward in this. Hoping that those who have a bit more experience on these matters can offer me some advice.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
inbreeding occurs with too much brother sister breeding... avoid that and your lines should be fine....

one other thing most plecs have their own harem in the area they are caught from and its quite possible your wild caught stock could be the result of brother/sister breeding anyway....

IMO its not something you need to worry about too much.... if you get any deformed fry then maybe have a rethink....

with common bristlenose 5 successive brother/sister breedings usually produces some deformed fry... sometimes deformities may be internal organs and you will just have a die off although they may look fine on the outside.... i experimented a fair bit with common bristlenose many years ago just to confirm what i had been told by an old fish keeper....

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2016
UK
Thanks for the info. I've decided to buy the adult group. My 5 non breeding adults are being sold off to a buyer that will make up 2 new groups. Males will be put with females and vice versa to hopefully make up 2 new mixed bloodline groups for people and also make room for the new breeding group. Hopefully when I get them they will start breeding fairly quickly.:)

Jan 8, 2016
UK
Hopefully will get them breeding more or less straight away at the moment the guy who's selling them is keeping the temp slightly lower to stop them breeding as he can't maintain the high production rate of youngsters. Being wild caught adults fry obviously are F1s. They breed regularly in my local tapwater quite hard, as guy doesn't live far from me. Hopefully all I need to do is increase the temp!