Bristlenose diet...

KennyDolly

Oct 27, 2011
New York
Hi! I have 3 BN plecos... Male, and two females, all 3-4 inches. Currently, I am feeding zucchini daily, with two of the following: Broccoli, green beans, lima beans, peas, carrot, brussel sprouts, and romaine lettuce. So far, they love them all except for the peas and carrot... Am I feeding them a good diet? Do they need any meaty food or any other supplemental food to keep them healthy? They eat heartily and especially adore a good thawed brussel sprout... Thanks!

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
I think you are doing very well. I would however also introduce a type of veggie pellet/ algae wafer , these also have additional vitamin benefits etc. cheers jk :thumbup:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Sounds like a good diet. You could add some commerical foods for the proteins and/or some meaty foods ocassionally. Carrots are probably too hard for BNs, they don't really have the teeth for it unless you cook it first. Peas just gotta be de-shelled or remove whatever that clear coating is called on the individual peas.

KennyDolly

Oct 27, 2011
New York
Thank you! I do cook the carrots... they eat a small amount of them but only after the others are gone! Peas are seldom fed because after I deshell them the other fish eat them on their way down... Can you recommend any commercial food for them along with their veggies? Or meaty foods?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
So many to choose from. For meaty foods, frozen or live brine shrimp, bloodworms, shrimp/prawns, lean white-meat fish. Commercial foods could include any good quality community food or some of the algae wafers from companies like Hikari, Wardley, Tetra, OSI, NLS, Sera. Pelleted or wafer foods are typically easier to feed.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I would go easy on the viformo and the carnivore tabs as bristlenose are such gluttons, one fish may eat too much and bloat.
I would recommend the Hikari algae wafer. It has a fairly meaty content in the algae and does break down overnight but not so fast that they don't have a chance to have a good gnaw on it first. I pop the whole big wafer in as it seems to be easier for them to scrape it down and eat it.

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
You have a great diet there, but I would suppliment with tetra Prima as I have found this to give them a good growth rate by using this as their staple diet...I also have never had bloat in Bn's by using it either.