bristlenose plec died

spoilt1

Apr 4, 2010
england united kingdom
hiya every was wantin a little adivce!,i have a 3 ffot aquarium tank with 3 mollie 2 platties ,3 guppies 1 silver shark,and 5 baby platties lol i think,i bought a 2 haif inch bristlenose plec late friday tea time,discovered it dead late satureday tea time with fin rot all over badly eaten fins!!and it stunk to high heaven,have checked the water in my tank amonia is normal nitrate is normal nite rite is normal but ph was slightly up,would this play any part in the bristlenose plec dieing?!all my other fish are fine and the babies are thrivin,or was this bristlenose diein with fin rot wen iv bought it?,im goin back to the shop wer iv bought it would like some info from u guys bfor i go ,x,shop not open till tuseday no so have put the plec in a tub with water in,x,any help would be great thy ,x,spoilt1,x,

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
There were probably issues with it when you bought, death was most likely accelerated by the stress of being moved and introduced to different tank conditions.

Before you go back to shop though, tell us more about the tank. filtration and water changes/gravel clean routine

Also what were the exact readings for the ammonia etc?
What is the ph normally and how up was it?
Have you got a KH test kit?

spoilt1

Apr 4, 2010
england united kingdom
hiya,i bought the tank second hand 4 month ago,so this is all i know, the jewel filter system is a highly effective two stage biological fillteration system usein components specifically designed to perform tgether perfectly ,filter wool white,active carbon sponge black,nitrate removal sponge green,filter sponge coarse blue,filter sponge fine blue wich ar all places in the right way,ammonia 0ppm,nitrite was 0ppm,nitrate 7ppm,fresh water high range ph was 8.0,fresh water ph 7.6,i hope this is enuff information for u,im only a novice,bit frustratin has all my other fish are and have been fine,x thankyou ,spoilt1

spoilt1

Apr 4, 2010
england united kingdom
sorry u did ask about cleanin and water change i clean the tank every 4 to 5 days ,i use safe gaurd to treat the water use 1 bottle cap to every 36 liters as it says on the bottle and i take out 9,12 litre buckets of water,and to clean the the gravel use syphoning kit to clean the grave,,,

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hey

3 foot? is that around 180 Litres ish?

Thanks for the info. The PH is on the high side. When you take the PH of the tap water, can you aerate it or leave it to stand for 24hrs before taking a reading?
Just trying to determine whether 8 is in fact the PH or whether it has risen.

What substrate is in the tank?

The tank isn't over stocked so that's good, but I would maybe increase the water changes to 25% maybe every week.

spoilt1

Apr 4, 2010
england united kingdom
substrate please explain i am only a novice sorry abou that,iv taken the tap water like you said iv done samples and will leave them for 24 hours,will mail u back to morrow if ok with you!?,right i take 108 litres of water out the tank every moslty 4 days occasionaly 5 days,,,the gravel is cleaned everytime i make a water change,do you think thers is any chance that id get my money back from the pet shop?or will she use the condition of the water ie the ph bein high?,or are u meaning i should take 75% of the water out and leave 25% in the tank?,sorry dont mean to be a pain but its nice to know these things!!to get the ph down wat do u suggest ,thankyou ally,x

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hey Ally

Sorry i misunderstood how much water you was changing, if the tank is around 180 litres, i would change 30% at most per water change which would be 60 Litres every 5-7 days and always make sure the filter is running efficiently but never clean all of the filter media at once.

The substrate is the gravel:yes:
What type of bristlenose was it?

When you bought the bristlenose home, did you acclimatise him before adding to tank?, this can be done by floating the bag in the tank and adding little amounts of tank water to the bag over a period of time.
Whether the shop refund you or not would really depend on how the plec was introduced to the tank.

To avoid problems introducing fish, you would be better off finding out the tank parameters of the water from any shops you wish to buy them from, the closer they are to yours the less likely it is you will have problems.

Don't worry about trying to change the PH until we know what the tapwater is.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
sorry you lost a nice fish, my guess is it was sick when you bought him and he did not acclimatise well to your different water and that finished him off. once dead the mollies/platties will eat him.

spoilt1

Apr 4, 2010
england united kingdom
i have a pebble gravel about half inch up to 1 inch and ordinary gravel but its only a thin layer i will add more of the small gravel,yes i alcamizesed the fish but only for a 25 minuts and did add a little water at a time,the pet shop i bought the bristlenose from is a bout 1/4 of a mile away from wer i live,dont know wat kind of bristlenose it was dont seem to be gettin very good information wer ever i go i feel its top secret or is it they dont know very much them selves also get different information and bein dyslexic i stuggle understandin ,would just like to know how long i need to alcamize the fish and how often do i clean the filter ,at the moment the ph is lower in the tap form ,and higher in the tank,still it hasnt been 24 hours yet untill teatime,sorry i know i waffle lol,its just i enjoy the fish and everythin about the tank and cleanin ,i bog wood and slate hide places in the tank to,xthankyou ally

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
no probs.
not sure you need to add any more gravel. more wood would help lower ph.
if the shop water was very different sometimes I allow a couple of hours for plecs to acclimatise. but 25 mins is not too bad, depends on how different the original water was. I suspect he may have been ill when bought.
next time you buy from a shop, ask how long they have had the fish for.
I try not to buy a fish unless the shop has had it in for at least two weeks.

spoilt1

Apr 4, 2010
england united kingdom
right i have tested the high range and fresh water ph straight from the tap like u asked and left it for 24 hours the high range ph is 7.4 ,from the tap and 8.0 from the tank,,the fresh water ph is 7.2 from the tap,and from the tank its 7.6,so the ph is definatley rising in the tank wat can be causin this and is ther anythin i can use or do to lower this?i have 4 big pieces of bog wood in the tank gravel only lays a less than 1 inch on the bottom of the tank,please can i have to information on how i can help myself to maintain a good workin healthy tank for my fish please,ie how often to clean filter wat is the ferfect ph level is ther anymore i can do ?,x,ally,thankyou for ur help so far,i will check back in a day or so to get feed back,x,

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
do you have access to any clean rain water?
for a jewel filter, I would wash the top white filter , in a jugful of tank water, at least once a week, more often if it gets soiled quickly if messy fish. replace with a new white filter maybe once a month or when it falls appart. I dont actually buy the jewel own filters, I buy large sheets of filter padding and cut to size, its much cheaper.
then wash one of the other blue filters maybe once a month. never wash them all at the same time, that way you keep some good bacteria in the filter. dont need to wash very well either, just squeeze it a few times in the jug or bucket of tank water. then top up tank with fresh rain water or treated tap water. never wash filter under tap.

spoilt1

Apr 4, 2010
england united kingdom
yer i have the white sheet paddin i cut my own to size,x,please can u give some information on the ph iv already wrote about in the previous messages please,i will do that with the filter!ph is lower in the tap and seems to rise in the tank iv put the ph levels in the last message thankyou,

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hey

A lot depends on which test kit is more accurate, a PH of 7.6 is ok.
Apart from bogwood, do you have any other decor in the tank? and what is the gravel made out of?

If there is nothing in the tank that is making the PH rise then the only other thing i can think of that may do this is a low KH. You would need to buy a KH test kit, sometimes you can get kits that do both KH and GH.