Can I plant with ugf?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
For a few plants i would say yes.

There are good and bad points to UGF with plants, the roots can get tangled in the plates but on the flipside they enjoy the nourishment that is provided.

I had a few plants when i had an UGF, and they did pretty well.

Also if you have plecs in the tanks especially the larger ones, they could up root some of the plants but that would be the same in any type of tank and a lot of plecs like to eat amazons lol

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i always had a few plants when i had an UG filter, they seemed to grow better for me then than they do now:wb:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
My experience seemes to mirror scatz's. When I simply stuck some plants into a tank with an UG they grew better then my attempts at a heavily planted tank with a more dedicated approach including specialized substrates.

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
same here, we had some in with an ugf and some in another tank with the ugf. the ones with the ugf grew better etc....even though the other ones were getting more attention.

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
I set up a 40 litre seamless for my wife with anubis nana, java fern, and a couple of vals. I use a UGF with the powerhead set up backwards (water flows up through substrate) been set up for over a year with no issues. HTH
Stan

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Just liky hydroponics the plants are getting a constant wave of fresh water past the roots along with a captive/constant food source.

kerryteatsjr

Apr 23, 2009
I can say that there isnt a single tank that I have with an ugf right now that doesnt have plants in it. I can also say that java fern grows like a weed in these conditions.I actually throw it away,I also have some crypts and anubias that are doing fine for over 4 years in a ugf tank.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
So the java fern I can just stick in the gravel in a back corner somewhere or do I have to fasten it to a rock first?

I have a huge java fern on dw which is always throwing off plantlets. Its gotten so big I have to lay it across my arm on rare occasions I take it out as the weight of it would pull away from the dw. Its about the only plant which has grown well for me as that val stuff doesn't really florish here.
Val used to when my pH was around 7 but since I am using rainwater of closer to 6 pH some plants don't do so well.

This is exciting. I wish the the ugf would hurry up and arrive so I can get cracking.