can my tank support a common pleco

mark134

Oct 6, 2009
PA
hello ive always wanted to have a pleco and now i have a 55g tank i am new at this my readings now are
im adding drops to raise the ph right now
nitrate-20
nitrite-0
hardness-150
chlorine-0
alkalinity-40
PH-6.2

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
The pH is fine where it is. Where does the pH start at before you add the drops? I personally don't like using any pH buffers as bad things can happen quickly with those. It is far better to strive for a consistent pH value rather that the "correct" pH value.
I'd recommend a Common Bushynose instead of a Common. A Common will outgrow a 55gallon tank & typically rather quickly at that.

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
I agree with Lorne, it is always better to be consistant rather than having to mess with buffers etc.

I too would avoid purchasing a common pleco for that tank and would much rather opt for a bushynose/bristlenose. There are a few different variants of bristlenose and you would be able to keep a few rather than one common pleco.
Have a look at this link to see the different variants in bristlenose.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/index.php?task=&genus_id=4&family_id=4

mark134

Oct 6, 2009
PA
ok thank you for the information im going to try to get one of these plecos common pet stores like petco petsmart only sells common plecos im going to go to this place that only sells fish but i need to get someone to take me ill look and see if they have these other plecos

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Definitely see if you can get to a more specialized store. Petco/Petsmart is well-known for not always having thre greatest quality fish.

mark134

Oct 6, 2009
PA
Once i get the pleco what should i feed it. I have algae wafers. or should i use somthing else ?
i hear cucumber is good but do you wait till its bigger to feed it that.what good for smaller young ones

Last edited:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Once i get the pleco what should i feed it. I have algae wafers. or should i use somthing else ?
It all depends on what type of plec you get. There are about 800 species of "plecs" many with varying requirements in terms of how big they get, what type of water conditions they like and also what they eat. Its always best to do a little homework on what you're looking at/for to see if it'll fit in with the way your tank is setup & what tankmates it'll have.

mark134

Oct 6, 2009
PA
i just picked up my bushy nose today
so what should i feed it other than algae wafers the guy told me they love somthing at the store but i didnt know what he said

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
See the veggie list for veggies to fed your plec.
http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49

Veggies, including cucumber, can be fed to plecs at any age/size. Many use cucumber as a staple diet of their fry/baby plecs.

Bushynoses will eat just about anything. Just be sure to feed mainly veggie type foods as many commercial foods, even so called "algae" flakes & wafers, contain too much animal protiens.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Is that your BN?

That algae should be okay for it. Probably not the best as there really isn't that much & it isn't all that nutritious. Many aquarists are under the false impression that plecs can subsist on that algae alone however there is quite a difference between aquarium algaes & what is seen in nature. It shouldn't be long before it cleans all that algae out.

mark134

Oct 6, 2009
PA
yea thats it
um the white changed now he turned dark again that was odd

now my water is
i have those strips so i dont know the exact levels
should of got a different kind of tester

nitrate-20
nitrite-0
hardness-150
chlorine-0
alkalinity-40
ph-6.8-7

that should be good for it to live
so should i start feeding it at night
i got this powder stuff for ph it keeps at 7 now matter what and you only have to put it in ever month or 2 so its good

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
so should i start feeding it at night
Yup, don't overfeed though. Remove any veggies you add in the evening in the morning. There are some veggies that can stay in longer but for beginners to plecs and veggies, its easier and better on your water quality to remove them after 12 hours max.

mark134

Oct 6, 2009
PA
last night i put in a cucumber and i woke up and it wasnt eaten
but the back wall of my tank that was all green algae is all completly cleaned now

should i try feeding him durring the day today or wait till night thank you
and next time i feed him im going to try the waffers cause i dont think he wants vegatables yet

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
try alternating veg and wafer nights or stick a wafer in the veg. They sometimes take a while to realise that veggies are food for them, but persevere, he will eat them

mark134

Oct 6, 2009
PA
i have one more question is it normal for my pleco to hide all day in one spot mine hasnt moved really its been in the same place for like 5 hours
im new with plecos and fish i bought my tank about 3 months ago its my first tank

here is my tank

here is my plec hes been hiding behind the filter all day i hope he is ok or is this normal do they become active at night i thought they would eat durring the day

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
If he is an adult i would expect him to stay hidden for a good while during the day, if he is a juvie he wouldn't be so shy and out 'cleaning'

Can you see his mouth area? try to observe what is breathing rate is.

When you fed him last night, even though he didnt eat, he was active?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
its pretty normal as they're settling in. As they become more acustomed & comfortable in the tank they'll be more willing ot venture out. BNs are pretty god about coming out (not all plecs are though) so give it some time & it'll probably out & about during the days.