candy cane tetras

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
I am starting to re-stock my 54g trigon now since the total loss. I saw some candy cane tetras in the aq store, tried to read up on them but they must have another common name ,which i cant find. Anyone know anything about them ,ie are they tail nippers ,ect ? I am restocking with harlequin raspboras, have 6 so far,will get more soon, will also get dwarf rainbow fish , farlowella and perhaps glowlight tetra,or bleeding heart tetra, and a couple of L128's. Would the candy cane tetras be a good fit for this group ? I want a mellow ,happy community tank.
any advice appreciated, cant find anything .
tank-54g trigon
filters: 2 Aqua Clear 70's HOB's
temp 79d
ph-6.8
plan to keep the water parameters as above.
thanks,
Georgie

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks plecoboy, read up , not really a good set up for them as they perfer darker water,so will find something else. thanks for the info , appreciate

georgie

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Deeper bodied tetras like bleeding hearts can be a bit nippy, more so than the thinner bodied ones. Glowlights can also be a bit nippy at times but mainly just amongst themselves and not to the point of causing any real damage. By darker water do you mean tannin stained and softer water or did you mean lighting wise? All tetras are pretty similar in their preferences as they all maintain similar habitats.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi Lorne,
I meant water stained by tannins. I don't have/want stained water, although i have seen it in tanks in this forum ,and it looks awesome, just that this is the main/show tank and i prefer the water clear. I do dim the lights in the evening and lights off at night.

Thanks for the heads up on the bleeding hearts and others , as I dont want tail nippers, even on eachother.

Georgie

plecoboy88

Sep 4, 2011
Middlesbrough
You don't have to have them in dark water, its just a preference as its more natural for them but I assume they would do fine in a clear water tank. Pretty fish tho! :)

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks plecoboy,
I am a bit concerned about tail nipping, so I gotta think this one over.
appreciate.

Georgie