Cause for concern or just different colour?

lilacamy931

Oct 22, 2009
Bournemouth
I have 6 habrosus and one recently looks completely different from the rest in colouration, very noticeably so, but I cant remember if he has always been like this or has a illness :unsure:
here are how all the others look

And here is how he looks

Cant decide if he is on the skinny side or not...He rests more than the others but then always has.
They have weekly water changes, nirtites and ammonia 0, nitrates around 5.

I am on complete panic stations at the moment as with my pygmies there was an epidemic and out of the 13 there are now 3 left (though havent checked their status today..) All other fish seem to not be affected but of course if there is something going on wish to nip in the bud.

lilacamy931

Oct 22, 2009
Bournemouth
Thats what I was thinking. One was definately a full shade lighter than the rest, noticeably so and think it is the same one looking at them all now, but dont think he was this light and different and definately think he looks skinny.

Is there anything I can do for him?

lilacamy931

Oct 22, 2009
Bournemouth
I have had them since 16 January and they were a decent size when got (would say pretty much full grown). They have been pretty happy chappies and happily eat anything given. Have isolated the fellow above for now

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
okie doke, its hard to know what to suggest without knowing why, best you can do right now i guess is keep an eye on him.

lilacamy931

Oct 22, 2009
Bournemouth
Welll just to say a big thank you to everyone the little fellow has not made it. I ensured to use tank water, temp and mature filter media but whatever he had combined with stress of being on his own may have been too much. thank you so much for the help x

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
oh so sorry, guess you will never know the mystery illness, at least the others are ok and not caught it, so guess its just genetic or something.
good luck with breeding them.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
:( Sorry to hear that, I did think he would probably end up going that way, you did right separating him though. I did read that old corys can lose their colour which was why I asked their age.

lilacamy931

Oct 22, 2009
Bournemouth
I guess I will never know especially as water stats fine, etc. This is a only problem buying fish if not from a breeder..Thanks so much for everything appreciate it xxx

lilacamy931

Oct 22, 2009
Bournemouth
Thanks for that intrepidmax! Thanks for the diagnosis on him. I have assassin snails in the tank do these move inthe same way as MTS as always been afraid that once a fish dies it is going to affect the health of others (always test water params and give fresh water change).

I wonder what the stress could have been as they seem such happy cories...always foraging and exploring and real delight to watch.

Just in case I am doing something wrong for them here are some pics below. Water changes at least once a week, food includes frozen bloodworm and brineshrimp crushed, flake, shrimp pellets, anything they will try.

Their tank, they did have one half but opened up for them, only other occupants are a couple of shrimp and two lampeye fry

Here is another I am possibly worried about as he has a very light face though think it could just be his markings..

I came into loving cories around Sept/Oct last year and got a few species in in their tanks and all has been well up to christmas. But from January I have had such bad luck with pygmies and wondering if these are going to go the same way. If so may have to stick to the larger hardier cories..

Last edited:

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
sorry I didnt get here sooner.

He looked fine. skinny...he's a male. cant explain the colour but it looked fine...one of the fins has a slight nick out of it...but its not fin rot...or bacterial...

I would not have moved him...with my cory's if they are ill I leave them...if they die ...they get eaten by the MTS ...I find no effect on the other cory's..

also thinking....I have had cory's die on me for what seems like no reason...only last year in a pfk I read that they can self harm/poison...when stressed..
I have lost loads of corys in the past from contagious diseases.

The self poisoning thing usually happens when being bagged.
The small amount of water being held in the bag quickly becomes a death trap, i read the same article and if im not mistaken when they are released into a larger amount of water the affected corys are fine as the toxin is diluted and poses no threat.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
The self poisoning thing usually happens when being bagged.
The small amount of water being held in the bag quickly becomes a death trap, i read the same article and if im not mistaken when they are released into a larger amount of water the affected corys are fine as the toxin is diluted and poses no threat.
:yes:

The article is here

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1043

Leaving fish to die in an aquarium is one of the worst things you can do, too many diseases get spread by fish eating dead fish.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thats ok, i would start monitoring the water parameters, maybe get a little log book.