Cave cam

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Ok people:hi:

Right, I got some really nice pieces of wood off fellow member DW1305 the other day all hollow inside so no need for drilling:). I have stuck some slate on one and to form the cave:).

I have always wanted to set up a camera to spy on the spawning process (I know very pervy). I have got as for as I can with this little project (stuck a piece of slate on one end:D) So I am hoping someone out there will no what I need equipment wise. I am sure you can pick the bits up in maplins etc but I have absolutley no knowledge:(.

I am looking to drill a hole onto the chamber and slot a little camera in there and then record whats going on in some way.

Heres the cave

Can anyone help me please?

Cheers

thegeeman

Last edited:
I

intrepidmax

Omg gee.....this was my next project :O

you beat me to it lol. Ok here is how I was going to do it. i was going to have three slate caves with perspex backs and have a gap at the back of the tank big enough for me to fit into. the side and back of the tank would have the black/blue backing taped to it (cos I like this stuff) and then were the caves touched the glass at the back of the tank I would cut a the shape of the cave (so like a square) I was either going to have a flap or remove the whole thing. then my plan was to build a slate boxes and seal them to the back of the tank so the camera would fit in (this allowing enough light in for the filming....but also keeping it dark enough for the fish to enjoy) then I was just going to film what goes on.

I chased this up with another few sites.... turns out someone has done it before with zebra plecs.....and I know a lad used to do it with angels....he had three cams set up on breeding tanks.

the way I was going to do it...was use the old internet cam and move it from box to box. this way I would only need one cam and could edit the long pauses and boring stuff.

This is the best info and all I know on this.

hope it goes well for you.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
I am thinking of one of those bullet type cameras and then link that to a some sort of recording device that I can the turn on or off depending on wether I think theres some action or not:D.

Wheres Russ when you need him:D:D

Cheers

thegeeman

I

intrepidmax

ahh see It was the darkness that I was worried about. I had thought also about recording everything on a hi8 canon zero-lux camera. as these can see in the dark and they aint just an image intensifier,

it might be possible that you could have a small LED light angled so a little light goes in the cave. and those spy cams kev has could be made waterproof with a little silicone seal i would think. (not on the lens)

If you want a cave purpose built with a perspex back send me the dimensions and I will send you one for free. since I think its a great idea and would love to see how you get on.

good luck.
mark.

I

intrepidmax

thats awesome.....I want one just so I can watch what the missus gets upto. she would never suspect I was watching her from inside the fish tank pmsfl....

she would probably only be watching tv and scratching her bottom but it would be great.

but....its a pity about the price,,,its B&W and it doesnt say if it can see in the dark. but it would be great for all those Australians that keep getting their fish houses robbed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

intrepidmax

Lmao nah gee I dont do 199 lol. unless they are a good price.....like the ones I got from you.

ffs I had to edit this cos It looked like I was being well cheeky if it was read in the wrong context.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
I'll reply tomorrow... You need a camera that is sensative to the IR light range and then a LED IR spotlight :)

I've done this in the past as my sony camcorber just happens to work a treat.
I'll dig out some footage :)

I

intrepidmax

lol smithRc aka russ really is the brains behind the outfit......must have made Ikea a fortune lol.

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
right then....

I used a different approach... I lit the cave and recorded the action from outside the tank.... I did it from the front but there is nothing stopping you using a bottomless cave in a bare bottom tank and shooting from beneth the tank :)

I used a 12-15V Infrared LED "spot light" (I bought a DIY kit with a round PCB mounted with approx 30 LEDs on it and power leads coming off one side, so I could fit it to what ever I wanted - however I wanted...)
I mounted it to a metal bar and clamped it to the cameras tripod and pointed both of them into the Zebra tank.... they didnt notince the IR light (humans cant see it but I wasnt sure about the fish)

Anyway - I then left the camera recording on long play and the checked what I got the next morning.... :)

My next Idea was to set up and use a web cam wiht the IR spotlight but with it setup using a laptop and a bit of software called "Dorgem" to let me use it as a motion sening system... I never got yound to it as Lorna didnt like having a camera and tripod in the bedroom - dont know why! :D

You can test your cameras ability to see IR by pointing a TV remote at it and recording - if you can see the LED(s) of the remote flashing quite brightly - your onto a winner :)

If you think you can get a good waterproof connection then you could easilt drill a few holes into the wood to allow you to light the cave with a few LEDs... you chould be able to do a good job with a bit of air tube filled with silicon then stuck over the LED wires.

anyway.... I havent been able to find the footage I've got - Its on my desktop PC, so I'll try and upload some tomorrow for you... one thing to remember is that because of the fact that its IR - the images are in black and white - no matter what camera you use...

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
Think I'd go for the one Windy posted up - yes its more - but there are no wires involved and it has loads more uses outside the fish tank too :)

Have you got a webcam?