Clay caves

Jagtazman

Nov 2, 2009
Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK
Its the air-drying clay I was looking into like the kids stuff not kiln drying cannot be bothered with all that
my kids gave me the idea after using it as school, but not sure if toxic and safe for an aquarium

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i wouldn't trust it.
i made a load of clay ones a while back, then got them fired in a local school, they were happy to do them too as they were firing a load of the kids stuff anyway

Bristlenose23

May 13, 2010
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Air drying clay

I tried to make caves from air drying clay.
I knew it would crumble apart so i dried them in the oven for 10 minutes or so.
Put them in the tanks, overnight they had completely collapsed and the water was starting to foul.
Unless they are kiln fired, I cannot see them working...

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes need ordinary clay (terracotta type or porcelain) from pottery shop or craft centre, and then shape caves, leave to dry for a week then take to school to get fired.

Dec 4, 2010
Rossendale
Does anyone know if the air drying clay is safe to use to make your own caves?
Ie wrap around a pipe to mould etc
Hi Its funny we all seem to have similar idears!
I used some air drying clay and it never does is the answer it will return to MUD if left underwater for any lenght of time.

I even varnished some test pieces in marine varnish but it still cracked!
back to my drawing board! lol!

Now where did i put that fusion reactor for my solar lighting thingamebob!!! Lol!

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
I have seen on another forum a guy making caves from cement. He dug a hole in his garden put a sausage shaped object (no not that :lol:) in the middle of the hole then poured the cement around it. Left it to set then just dug it out and coated it in a fish safe varnish.