cories with breeding plecs.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Hi just wanted to ask for views here.
Some people think /know having a group of cories in with plecs helps, or is not a hindrance, to breeding plecs. Others think they are better with fewer or no tank mates.

what is your experience? thanks

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
i currently have a group of sterbai in with my breeding L046, a group of axelrodi in with my breeding group of L066 & a group of pandas in with my breeding group of L411.

i never have any issues, both the plecs and corys are fine together and breed all the time

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
I have loads of cories in my plec tanks and the only thing that slightly worries me is that they really like there food. If you have fry in the tank then I tend to really over feed so the babies get a good feed aswell. Hypans love munching on cory eggs aswell. I have now set up two tanks so I can start to breed cories aswell and will probably end up removing cories from some the my breeding tanks. That way I know the babies are getting enough feed

Cheers

thegeenius

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I have a group of trili in with my breeding L144. Had no problems whatsoever.
Also have anamo shrimp. No problems with them either.

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
I have sterbai in with my common BNs, I haven't seen any issues with the corys predating the BN eggs, although the cories haven't bred in this tank.

I do have small livebearers (Endler's livebearers or heterandria formosa) in a few of my plec tanks - the constant breeding of livebearers is thought to add hormones to the water to stimulate plec breeding behavior.

windy

Apr 24, 2009
cardiff
i used to have breeding cories in with my breeding 134s
all my breeding groups of plecs have cories in their tanks

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I find a trio or so of corys handy for stirring up the gravel and dislodging the pleco poop so the filter can pick it up.

A small number don't seem to bother the plecos but I have noticed the corys will not breed unless they really have to. The females get huge and the minute I tranfer them to their own tank, spawning occurs. Maybe the corys got wise to the plecos eating their eggs?