Cory substrate question

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
I'll try to keep this short. 3 years ago I set up a fully planted 75g tank (low light plants, mostly swords & crypts), eco complete substrate and a couple of pieces of large driftwood. My tank currently has 6 adult angelfish and 1 leopard frog pleco. I do weekly water changes and the tank temperature averages 80 to 81 degrees. I've been considering getting some Cory Sterbai but I want to be sure that 1. the eco complete won't hurt the corys and 2. that the tank temp will be ok. I chose this particular species because I've read Sterbai's can handle warmer tank temps but I'm really curious to hear your opinions on the temp and eco complete. Thank you in advance for your help/advice.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
sterbai are good, as are leopardis and adolfi. But Sterbai go for 28-29C. Substrate should be fine. cheers jk :thumbup:

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Thanks for the info! I'm glad that the eco complete is ok. I could change it out because the eco's been in there for 3 years already so the nutrients are gone I'm sure. But the thought of moving the fish to another tank, digging all of the substrate out and the mess it would create :wb: I'm also toying with the idea of upgrading to a 125g, I'm pricing it out now. The tank isn't what's expensive it's the stand and lights that are a killer. If I do upgrade, I'll put pool filter sand in from the start considering I dose my plants with ferts anyway.

Regarding the warmer water; the duplicareus were my first choice, but I read they like cooler waters, and the Aldolfi seem very hard to find. The sterbi look neat and the most tolerant of warm temp waters. The corys are the last piece to my fish-tank-puzzle...angelfish, a pleco and corys. I think that should be a nice mix.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes fine, lep frog would also be happy at 28C.

eggs go both ways, the angles will eat cory eggs and young I expect.

beginer

May 3, 2009
Melbourne
I got my sterbai breeding at 30 degree celcius.... lol

however, you might want to consider that your aquasoil has been there for a while and cory like to dig the substrate, this might cause the spike in your tank because lots of waste has been berried under the aquasoil.

excuse me for my poor english :)

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I have some sort of planty type soil in the gravel too. Can't even remember what it was but when I gravel vac the gravel some of it does come up to the surface. I just siphon hose that messy bit out. In 20yrs maybe it will all be gone lol.