corys and gravel substrate?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi, so must corys have a sand or very fine substrate ? Regular gravel is a no-go for them? Everything i have read says fine or sand . Would love a group for my 54g but not if the gravel will hurt their barbells. What do members say?

Thanks,
Georgie

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
well, i was reading older threads ,found one from Doodles about black substrate ,which i have, so that's 2 counts against me :cry:

Georgie

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
They prefer sand to wiffle around in but so long as your gravel doesn't have any sharp edges they will be fine :thumbup:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Morning, Yup agree sand is the best or tiny gravel with no sharp edges. I use silica pool sand. cheers jk :thumbup:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Part of the issue is always meaking sure your substrate is clean. Gravel allows particles to work their way down into the pockets between the grains. Here the particles can decompose creating bacterial blooms and stagnant spots. These factors help contribute to barbel and other issues with corys. If you can keep your substrate clean it shouldn't be much of an issue as for decades keepers have had them on gravel substrates. Sand, as the others have said, would be the ideal substrate though.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
ok, thanks Joby, BB, and Lornek, since I am not changing to sand, I was pretty bummed, but the gravel is smooth and I do a gravel vacuum every week ,so thanks Lornek for this information. I did notice in other members photos , some had gravel , so that is what got the juices flowing ! I see them at my aquarium store, and they come right to the front and love that they live in groups. Many thanks. Just started up a q-tank, going for otos , then corys. I am very happy now:)

Georgie

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
going for otos , then corys
Don't put the Oto's in until the tank is established with some biofilm, and only if you have a planted tank. They are very sensitive to water quality and actually quite a delicate fish.

They need supplementary feeding, I use courgette or cucumber, and ideally some leaf litter to graze on as well.

cheers Darrel

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi Darrel, thanks for the info . I guess I need to rethink getting these guys. Since I was planning them for the 54g , which has enough biofilm, but sparse plants, seems like it wont be a good fit . I was figuring they could also eat the zucchini I give my L128's, however this is not and wont be a planted tank. Also , I suppose it would take months for biofilm to accumulate in the q-tank which I just started up . I had thought I could feed them zucchini for the 4 weeks they spent in there.

So, wonder, why must they need plants ? Just wondering.

bummed , but thanks

Georgie

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
So, wonder, why must they need plants ? Just wondering.
I assume it is because they come from habitats with plants, and are stressed if they don't have them. Another advantage of plants is that they make water quality maintenance a lot easier, and they need clean well oxygenated water. The "need plants" bit came from here: <http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/_species.php?species_id=105>.
Large leafed plants and vertical flat rock surfaces (especially slate). Not essential, but likes bogwood and a large rounded substrate. Live plants seem essential to the long term survival of this fish.
There is a page about them on Planet Catfish <http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=178>

I only have very complex, densely planted tanks, so I don't have any experience of them in non or lightly planted tanks. In my tanks they tend to rest on a thinnish twig, under wood overhangs or in the base of Amazon swords, rather than on the plant leaves, although they are often feeding on Amazon Sword leaves and occasionally on the glass. I've also noticed they like dead Magnolia leaves, both to feed and rest on. My Corydoras pygmaeus often rest on these as well, and are very similar to Otocinclus in appearance.

Otocinclus become largely nocturnal as they get older as well, hiding during the day, but dashing about at night, often in a group. My oldest fish are at least 4 years old (they were adult when I got them), so they can live a long time for a little fish. I also keep them quite warm (25 - 30oC), and I think the suggestion that they need cooler water doesn't apply to the species we normally get imported.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks Darrel , so unless i consider adding more, and lots of plants I wont be getting otos. I am gonna think on this , as i really didnt want too many plants in there, but i will mull it over for a while , make a decision if i want to change up that tank , add plants or forget the whole thing. Appreciate the info as i wouln't want to purchase them and have stressed out otos.

Many thanks,
Georgie

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
well I bought some plants yesterday for the 54, in q-tank atm, was seriously thinking of doing eveything to make them happy , but if they are this sensitive , not sure i should even try . looks like i will be looking for a different fish that eats algae.(sp,sorry) I just loved how they crusied in a group and gentle , and my smooth rocks are getting slimy -got a lot of larger smooth stones. Don't want any snails as they multiply . The L128'a never cruise the tank and clean the slime. The farlowella does the glass and wood but that is all ,prob cuz he gets a free veggie meal with the plecs.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about otos , appreciate it . I will ask a new thread what might be a good fit. Plants can go in the 30g later.

Georgie

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
what i usually do, is wait 6-9 months in a new tank set up before buying Otos. By then you have enough build up on the wood, leaves ,rocks etc to keep them happy. Good luck with them. cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks BB, I think I will have to wait quite a while IF I even get them . Love they way the look too, but seems they are too sensitive and I really dont want many plants in my 54g . Pehaps in the 30g in future , when enough buildup ... will keep all this info for future. Many thanks and will let ya all know.
Georgie