DAM another 3 female albinos dead by morning

NEVVBIE

Nov 28, 2009
australia
now this is 4 albinos and 3 peppermints.... i moved them all to a different tank i hope it don't kill them all now

i noticed 1 of them looked dead and then started to swim funny darting motion and then back to normal....

i cant believe this i am cursed.......

i noticed when they all die they go black and also black towards the head side look at pics

why ???????????????????? dam

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Have you removed the wood yet?
What water changes have you done since the last thread?
Whats the temp of the tank?

What internal bacterial meds can you get?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
oh no, so sorry.
there is obviously something really wrong here.
can you post the exact readings from your tank

NEVVBIE

Nov 28, 2009
australia
HI i am at work now

when i did all the tests they were all good 1-2 just into the next color bracket on those charts.. and the hardness was 4 drops on the kh test
temp is around 23c... does the black color mean on there body mean anything or thats what happens after they die...

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i dont think the colour change after death means anything.
what were the exact readings on the charts?
what does 4 drops work out to on the kh chart?

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
ok, lets start from the beginning.

Is this the same tank as your first thread when the fry died?

What exactly is/was in the tank (preferrably each section with how many in it).

How is the tank sectioned off? Glass? Perspex? With what to hold them in place? I just want to rule out the glue or something like that causing it.

How long has the tank been set up? How long have these fish been in the tank?

What's your water change routine?

I also noticed what ancistrus had mentioned in the other thread, the colouration around the anus. I don't think this is the cause as this has been noticed on a few different members fish and has never been a problem.

What test kits have you got, and what are the results? Please give actual results and not just that they are ok, as a combination of all results can give a more conclusive answer and different people have different opinions as to what is ok.

Sorry for all the questions and for your losses. We are all trying to help you out but you need to give more information. Also while you are having these problems it is really not recommended to add more fish to the tank. We need to get this sorted to stop any further losses.

How are the remaining fish acting/looking?

NEVVBIE

Nov 28, 2009
australia
will let you know once i get home im at work now i have removed all fish from that tank..i hope i don't shock them and kill them..
type soon

NEVVBIE

Nov 28, 2009
australia
no i have had this driftwood on and off for 7 years i re soaked it and started to use it but the wood was OK about 2-3 weeks later all this happened the cotton algae growing on it and stuff

3 more dead this time stomachs look bloated and anus is orange again i noticed on the other albinos there anus also getting orange and larger

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Just a thought, but there have been reports of hikari wafers causing bloat, these wafers swell to twice their size when placed in water. Whilst there have been many people that use them with no problem, there have been a few problems with bloat for others and the common link was the wafers.
I don't use hikari any more as there are quite a lot of different wafers out there.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Just a thought, but there have been reports of hikari wafers causing bloat, these wafers swell to twice their size when placed in water. Whilst there have been many people that use them with no problem, there have been a few problems with bloat for others and the common link was the wafers.
I don't use hikari any more as there are quite a lot of different wafers out there.
i doubt that the hikari wafers would have killed off 7 or so plecs in a matter of days.
the problem has to either lie with the water, or some disease

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I would guess some bacterial disease, the bodies are not just black some have red patches.

did you do a big waterc change like I suggested after the first few died?

do you still have all the babies in the tank? if so give them some very gentle med like pimafix

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
also just feed them fresh veg only for a while
cucmber, courgette, green beans and peas with skin off, or spinach etc whatever you can easily get

NEVVBIE

Nov 28, 2009
australia
more are dieing i treated the tank for worm in morning i noticed looks like poo or worm short under 1 cm poo looking things stuck behind a fry net that was in tank i moved fish into...most of the fish that have died are FEMALES all the bristlesnoses are just sticking to the glass towards the top not 1 is in a cave..when I take the DEAD out from females this orange liquid comes from anus hole if that means anything and i notice most of the fish look like they have blood(a lot of red color) towards the anus to end of tail...
now in my other big tank all my venustus are sitting along the bottom of tank and occasional having spazam twitch....

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Sorry to hear of the continuing deaths, its very difficult to help if you don't answer as many questions as possible, bre wrote out quite a few questions in previous post but many questions are unanswered.

Also as asked, can you get primafix or any other internal bacterial meds?