Different Pellets/Wafers for Plecos - whats in them

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello All,

I must say I find it very intersting, that most pellets have roughly the same items in them, just a slight variation by a few percent. I honestly was a little surprised , as I was under the impression ( possibly like most) that the Hikari Algae wafer is more Algae based than others.

I alternatively use these 4 on a rotating basis in my tanks for L004/080/129/134/333 and 377.

Spectrum thera +A Protein 38%, fat 9%, fiber 5% and ash 9%
Hikari Algae wafers Protein 33%, fat 4%, fiber 3% and ash 17%
Omega one shrimp pellets Protein 38%, fat 8%, fiber 2% and ash 10%
Hikari Sinking Wafers Protein 36%, fat 9 %, Fiber 4% and ash 16%

So all I can advise others is to look after the diet requirements of the Ls and make sure you also supplement feed them with veggies and keep and eye out for the Proteins .

Cheers jk :thumbup:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
You can't simply look at protein as spirulina is like 60% protein and there are vegetable proteins. Better is to look at the actual ingredients.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Yes you are correct, protein comes in a different form however why do manufacturers not say 60% vegetable protein or 53% meat protein etc. I just find it interesting that they just generalise and do not specifically mention the protein etc. Cheers jk :thumbup:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Well, why do they not do that for human food either?
I am not familiar enough with the process that they use to determine the nutritional content of food but it may be in the way the analysis is done, they may not be able to differentiate animal based vice vegetable based proteins. Even more so why one should look at the list of ingredients of the food sthey feed. If the ingredient isn't in the first 5 or so ingredients its a pretty good bet it doesn't constitute much of the food.

MUTLI

Mar 5, 2011
Bundaberg ,qld
Same as you I (bigbird) i use Hikiri foods and have had better results with it, although wouldnt mind trying Spectrum thera. Ive worked in a fish food factory before and not really suprised with the protien levels in each foods as the meals used are fairly common and probably the same ones used by each company

Last edited:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Decision was made easy for me by the fish themselves.
They weren't fussed on the hikari sinking or the spectrum thera so they get hikari algae wafers normally and the shrimp pellets are a treat food only.