Difficult peppermints to sex!

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
from the pics given i cannot see how anyone can accurately sex these fish... you can be given an opinion....

to sex pepps simply rub TOP of nose - soft and squishy = male......... hard and firm (plate like) = female....

completely disregard any bristles poking out the front as this doesnt distinguish anything...

and be weary of anybody trimming male bristles off prior to sale... (yes i have heard and seen it done before)

just for the records i have a pair of peppermint b/n and i spot a new batch of eggs on monday... eggs get kicked out wednesday and are hatched in frysaver... following monday the male is again on eggs.... therefore a female peppermint has the potential to lay eggs 7 days apart.... so getting a spawn one week apart with multiple fish in a colony doesnt indicate more than one female in the colony...

i see the fish are sold and hope the new owner is happy....

peppermint b/n have been sexually misrepresented for many years by some people and will continue to be done into the future so to all the buyers be aware of this and only purchase when you are happy and certain you are getting what you are buying!!!

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks Johnno.
I can't believe sicko's would cut the bristles! That is disgusting & so cruel
I took your advise & their heads were definitely hard and plate like.
I offered a full refund in case but based on age etc I'm pretty confident they are female
Buyer was very happy & had asked me before for spare females
Thanks again

axle

Sep 4, 2009
Perth Australia
To me they are all female. I have had a few peps and orange spots with forked bristles so that one is a complete myth. I know 100% that the ones I have with forked bristles are girls because they have produced fry.:whistle:

Dunny

Nov 25, 2010
Sydney
Pepps

Im with billyjimbo & would call fish 4 a Male. How did the 397's settle in? The 134's coloured up bright yellow as soon as I got them into the tank. Cheers mate. Jason.