DIY LED's

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
:hi: Guys.

Recently i have set up 4 breeding tanks. All having the usual equipment, heaters, filters etc. The one thing that was missing was lights, i didnt need them but was getting fed up with using a torch. I also didnt want to spend a fortune on something that in essence would only be used a couple of hours day and didnt want the bills to go up either (not that i pay them :lol:).

Having a look on ebay i came across some very cheap LED strips.

During an Xbox session with Russ (SmithRC) i mentioned that i had an idea to use 4 strips and one plug for the breeding tanks, Russ loves all that DIY stuff and said he would get them and wire it all up for me, all i would have to do was buy the transformer.

A few weeks later Mr Smith sent out the light emitting diodes to me and i rushed out to buy the advised transformer (again, dirt cheap). Everything worked great and looked fantastic, the only problem was how to attach them to the tanks as none had hoods only glass covers. A few days of thought and i remembered i had some cable trunking (it was meant to hide some cables in the kitchen but i forgot). The idea was (hopefully) that the strips would fit into the trunking and i could cut notches out of the ends and have them suspended over the tanks. I put my plan into practice and was amazed at myself that it worked.

I didnt have enough trunking to do all 4 tanks so cut 2 pieces to literally fit the strip (about a foot long) and used these ones for the lower tanks and glued them to the underneath of the higher tanks.

Job done, wonderful, atmospheric lighting at a very, very good price and cheaper than conventional aquarium lighting.

Heres some pics of the finished article.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
nice!

1) where are they, in the kitchen where the BN breeder used to be?
2) what's in them?

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Hello Mike,

Its in the spare room mate, top left i have 5xL340's, 6 panda corys, 6 napoensis corys and a pair of apisto "rotpunkt".

Top right: 4xL260, 3 Tatia perugiae and 5 sailfin tetras
Bottom left: Breeding pair Apisto Kelleri, 5xL309 and 5x Cory Wietzmani
Bottom right: Breeding Apisto Atahualpa with fry and 6? Tatia reticulata

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Excellent d.i.y job- wish I was that handy but will be having a go at it soon anyway! Wish me luck :)