DIY Spray bar?

sdleigh

Jan 9, 2011
Barnsley
Ok decided to make a DIY Spray bar, not worked out exactly what to use and dimentions but this is what im going to do...

Juwel Internal filters come with a solid moveable pipe extention to direct flow from pump. i have addition pieces of these and i am able to get this pipe above the water line and pointing in the direction i need it. Next i need a pipe to fit over the end of the extention, im thinking hosepipe... being rubber it should sqeeze over the end of the extention and create a good watertight fit, however, im not at home to check the dimentions so a may have to buy some uPVC pipping to do this job.

Next drill holes in the pipe, 2mm holes to start with (i can always make them larger if needed, but not smaller:wb:)

Next i need a stoppend, if i am able to use hosepipe, i have a couple of options i think; simplest is to bend the end and tie it to itself creating a nice simple seal. Or i can get a spare hopepipe stoppend i have laying round, or find something to wedge in the end and silicone seal it. If i use PVC i will have to use the wedge 'technique' or buy a proper stoppend for it.

Can anyone see a problem with any of this, the only thing i am thinking is will the hose pipe be ok? i use them to get water from the tap for water changes, but what about using them continuously in a tank? oh and the silicone i have is fishy friendly too.

All in all, i could possibly do this for completely free :woohoo:, whats your thoughts? Cheers

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I would use a pipe/tube that fits directly onto the pump rather than the direction nozzle, that way you will get a tighter fit...Using aquarium safe silicon as a stop end should work ok...Good luck with your project :thumbup:

sdleigh

Jan 9, 2011
Barnsley
cheers, im going to get my hands dirty tonight and see what i come up with, ill have it accompanied by photos too to show off my efforts, and maybe save others money! :D

and do you think it is safe to have a ordinary garden hosepipe swimming round in a tank, i cant think why not, but best to ask? :s

AndyEllard

Jan 27, 2010
Leamington Spa. UK
I'm not sure weither or not the increased pressure that will be on the powerhead would be a good idea :dk: as I have had quite a few juwel powerheds burn out on me just with normal use.

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I'm not sure weither or not the increased pressure that will be on the powerhead would be a good idea :dk: as I have had quite a few juwel powerheds burn out on me just with normal use.
As long as there are enough holes in the spray bar so the flow is not restricted it shouldn't burn out any quicker that they already do...I wish they would go back to the old pumps with the rubber cup on the bottom, they lasted for years.

sdleigh

Jan 9, 2011
Barnsley
i have already thought of a very unscientific way to test my flow after installtion, going to make sure it matches my current flow, thank you for the tip though. and i cant comment on the pump type, its just a standard juwel 600 one that fits in to rio 180 lol i had to replace the one it came with (tank was second hand) but it was spining thing, sorry forgot its name lol, that had broken, but i bought a whole new pump anyway to be sure. that was 5 months ago.

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
i have already thought of a very unscientific way to test my flow after installtion, going to make sure it matches my current flow, thank you for the tip though. and i cant comment on the pump type, its just a standard juwel 600 one that fits in to rio 180 lol i had to replace the one it came with (tank was second hand) but it was spining thing, sorry forgot its name lol, that had broken, but i bought a whole new pump anyway to be sure. that was 5 months ago.
Its called a impeller :thumbup: just make sure that you clean the impeller and in the well it sits in every time you do a waterchange as this will make sure its working at its best all the time

iaw

Jun 2, 2011
Penrith
why cant you use a small plastic tap fitting you can them in bunnings used on outside basnons i think you'll find it will solve all your troubles its plastic can be turned on and of with an option to conect your hose to an out side tap or if were were ever.