Egg bound?

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
Back in April of this year, I stopped breeding for a while. When I started back in September, my main female hasn't been the same. She tries to lay, but they only come out a small pile at a time. She keeps going back over and over again doing the same thing. This ticks the male off because he's guarding the first small pile and she lays another pile somewhere else in the tube. She use to lay anywhere from 150 to 200 eggs every 3 to 4 weeks. Now she's all messed up! Also, most of her fry hatch, but then die shortly after coming out of the cave. This never happened before I stopped her from breeding. Does anyone know how to straighten her out, or do I now have to dispose of the best female I've ever had?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
she may just need to shift all the eggs she has built up and then next month she will be ok. why did you stop her breeding?
I would also give her plenty of peas to help her digestion.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
normally when they are egg bound they cant get their eggs out at all and end up dying with a full belly... when you get the knife and run it through their hole... eggs pour out!!! have this happen to 3-4 female orange spots and a female zeb...:cry:

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
Maybe she is getting straightened out. I've watched all day as she has tried to lay eggs. I decided to give up and left for a couple of hours. Came back and she has laid a large pile. Hopefully she is regulated again.
I had stopped her from breeding because my Father was ill earlier this year. We lost him May 10th. I finally decided to start breeding again and have 2 new females that are dropping every 3 weeks, but she was messed up. She probably had a couple hundred eggs in her for a while that could have killed her I guess. Thanks for all the info everyone.
:clap:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Sorry to hear about your dad, Condolences :eek:(
Great news about you female releasing all those eggs, I hope she is back in synce now..
All the best for the future :eek:) Let us know how she gets on..

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
All is back to normal. I've only found one dead fry out of this large batch. Her last large batch, back before I kept her from breeding, had 233 fry. I'd say this one is pretty close to that. Here's some pics of the fry. Alot of the fry are hid out under the driftwood.:clap: