Equipment for tank 540 litres

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Hi all

I need your help and advice.

Hubby has ordered a Fluval FX5 external filter and i was wondering what internal equipment do we now need?.

Internal filters?
Powerheads?
Airstones / Bubble bars?

I know we need as much oxygenation as we can get, what do you use in your larger tanks.

Thank you.

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
Is the FX5 twin outlet?

If so I'd point one at the surface and one across the tank that way the only thing you will need in the tank to start with is a couple of heaters - say two 300W

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
first question before recomending anything would be what are you planning to keep in the tank? different fish require different setups

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
The fx5 is a twin outlet ( hubby says lol)

At the moment the fish going in there :
2 common plecs
8 odessa barbs
2 Pictus catfish
2 clown loach

We will be adding a few more pictus and clown loaches to the tank at a later date.

Sorry for any confusion caused by me editing this post : D

HTH

Last edited:

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
as far as i am awar you wont be needing high flows for those fish, so powerheads not really needed IMO but saying that you can get some nice internal filters like the eheim aquaballs which are great filters and will aid water circulation if positioned correctly, they also have a built in diffuser to help oxygenate the water. Id recomend a bubble wand across the back of the tank as well, with the outlet from the external flowing into the bubble stream.

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
as far as i am awar you wont be needing high flows for those fish, so powerheads not really needed IMO but saying that you can get some nice internal filters like the eheim aquaballs which are great filters and will aid water circulation if positioned correctly, they also have a built in diffuser to help oxygenate the water. Id recomend a bubble wand across the back of the tank as well, with the outlet from the external flowing into the bubble stream.

Thank you for your kind reply, we are going to stick with the fluval as they are a back up if the external stops working for any reason and we do have running fluval spares to add as well. To be honest we really like the fluval filters anyway, but thankyou.

There is a spray bar extention you can get for the fluval plus series, which we are thinking of getting anyway.

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Hi sounds like a great setup :clap:
I Also use 2 Fluval 4plus internals in our panaque tank in addition to externals
They are very reliable and perfect for mechanical filtration removing muck
I find they help prevent the externals getting clogged if I clean them weekly
Pete

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hi sounds like a great setup :clap:
I Also use 2 Fluval 4plus internals in our panaque tank in addition to externals
They are very reliable and perfect for mechanical filtration removing muck
I find they help prevent the externals getting clogged if I clean them weekly
Pete
:yes: I have one running with my tetratec 1200 in main tank. Do have to clean it quite often but as Pete says does help prevent the externals getting clogged.

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
:yes: I have one running with my tetratec 1200 in main tank. Do have to clean it quite often but as Pete says does help prevent the externals getting clogged.
Hi Doodles,

Cleaning the filters is no problem :), i think i must be weird because i dont actually mind doing the messy jobs :lol: and any preventative measure is worth the work :)