feeding 397's (unusual)

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i had a fry saver full of 397' floating in one of my zeb tanks and 1 escaped and i couldnt be bothered pulling tank down to get it....

the tank is fed 1 cube of bloodworms and 1 cube of daphnia and a tiny amount of crushed aqua one tropical flake once a day... i moved frysaver to another tank when it became available and fed the usual veges and wood diet....

now the 397 fry in the zeb tank is nearly 6cm in less than a month from 1cm fry... the other fry are barely 2 cm.......

conclusion - the big 397 fry likes bloodworms and daphnia with his wood diet...

any comments ?????

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
yes i sure will - amazing growth rate.... but is it ok for the fish with protein overload ???

its obviously eating the bloodworms as its red as red colouring too...

maybe just a male on steroids... i dropped another 2cm 397 in for a buddy and we'll see if it grows quick too....

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
it would be interesting to also see if the wood rasping is then also less, due to the high protein in the diet. If I would think of the wild rivers, that the L397 has adapted to rasping wood, as maybe in these rivers protein was not much available so it had to resort to other forms of food. I am sure in the wild if a worm or larvae is in the wood that the L397 would eat it as well, they would also be scavengers. I however do not know if there would be a side effect from too much protein in the diet, as their stomachs might not be used to this etc. But it is an interesting observation you made. I am sure the others will fatten and grow faster as well, as protein based diet is more nutritious as wood. cheers jk :thumbup: