Filteration issues....

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
I have 3 externals running on a 350ltr tank and the tank is still full of floating debris and 2 of the filters are blooiming noisy despite only being a few months old (not happy about that!) they're is also 6,000 l/hr SEIO powerhead on there serious O2 supplimentation.

The main culperites are for creating the mess are the Gold Nuggets and there huge appetitie for courgette and mango. And the fact the tank is well stocked and well fed.

I am seriously thinking about ditching the 3 JBLs and replacing them with a monster Eheim 2260, I used to run one of these on a 600ltr predator tank and it was fine only needed cleaning once every 6mths or more. And a seriously superb flow rate even with 5 gallons of media in.

So should I just do it then?

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
I find the best way to remove floating crap is a decent polywool sheet in the filter... it give great results pretty quickly - but at the same time it clogs quickly :(

I should change the fine filter a lot more often that I do - I tend to keep an eye on the flow rate from the filters - or the noise level :D

This is on our 350l on which I'm running a tetratec 1200 and a smaller ehiem (not sure what model)

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
I have a JBL e900, e1500 and a profi 500 they should be more than capable with coping with the crap.

The other thing that is bugging me about having 3 filters is the difficulty with cleaning 3 filters on a corner unit set up.

Going to price up the eheim tomorrow......then somehow smuggle it into the lounge without the wife noticing.....

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
lol - you'll never manage it!

I struggle changing the 2 in the unit already. I'm goingto upgrade to 2x 1200's on it and move the eheim to a different tank after we move.

As soon as the fine filter clogs up the filters performance will drop majorly.

have you got a fine filter in them?

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, I only cleaned them all 3 wks ago.....the profi 500 got so bad that i've turned it off. The flow rate was still great through it but the noise was unbearable.

I need to get the dimensions of the 2260 and check i can get it into the trigon 350 cabinet.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Try the fluval fx5 a mate is using 1! on an 8x2x2 with a 60cm cod 2x 30cm barramundi 4x 30cm silver perch 1x 30cm tandanus heaps of yabbies and a long neck turtle adult, i never thought 1 filter would be capable of doing such a load but this cannister has had no problems at all.
Only thing is the fx5 comes with a double outlet head on it i would recommend converting that into a spray bar for your size tank.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i like the FX5, nice big filters, also tetratec now do the ex2400 which should be the dogs doodahs too

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
I'm going to be going for 2x 1200s rather than the 2400.

The 2400 is a lot bigger (eg harder to fit into units) not only that it is more than twice the price of the 1200.

so getting the 2x 1200s gives you the same filtration (media volume etc), is cheaper and will give you a bit of redundancy, if one fails your not totally screwed and you can clean them alternately...

thats my 2p worth :)

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
I wasn't aware of the ex2400, but I will look it up. As for the FX5 that will also be researched. What do you use on your tanks Weasel? I know feed heavily with fresh veg aswell?

The Eheim 2260 is about 20mm to tall for it to go on my tank, and the ones I saw running on Tuesday were quite noisy.

One thing is for sure, the noise currently coming from my JBL 900e is horrendous!!!!

Thanks for the postings guys.....