fry saver filteration

longy

Jun 26, 2009
australia
hi i am making a diy fry saver similar to many that have been on here, i just have a question, i plan on running a sponge filter in it but which way should the water go? do i have the sponge outside and freshwater coming in the fry saver or sponge inside the tank out pump the water back into the main tank?
i was thinking have the sponge inside the tank as the fry can eat off the sponge, so that way i can pump the water either into or out of the fry saver.
so where should the water go once it has passed through the sponge filter?
thanks.

Zebra Pleco

Retired Staff
Nov 18, 2010
Gardenstown, NE Scotland
www.zebra-plec.com
I think you have answered your own question. Have the Sponge filter inside the fry trap, as it will collect food particles for your fry to eat. The filter will pump out any "dirty" water back into the main tank, where your main filter will clean it, and new water will filter back into the fry trap.

longy

Jun 26, 2009
australia
ok cool, so once the water will travel through the sponge filter it will be filtered out of the saver into the main tank, then through the mesh at the side of the saver the water from the main tank will replace the water from the saver that left via the sponge filter. that is right isnt it?

PlecoLad-UK

Nov 11, 2009
Hampshire
hi there, i dont know if this helps at all, but you sound as though you are in the same position as i was, baring in mind i have no idea how big you want to go. I used a clear ice cream tub style container holding around 3 litres, attached suckers so i can attach to tank. Placed a small 20 litre sponge filter one side and made a small compartment using mesh tank divider and placed a small filter to be used as an 'out pump' to ensure the water was being circulated. similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAD-INTERNAL-SUBMERSIBLE-AQUARIUM-FILTER-SPRAY-BAR-601E_W0QQitemZ170501805174QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=216995363614&rvr_id=216995363614&cguid=4693648f12c0a47a2f118841fff5f95b

also i should probably add this did involve me having to put tiny holes in the bottom of the trap to counter the water going out, it works well but occassionally the water level does drop (but not significantly). Would be good to hear how you do it as im looking for a new design as mine is very very primiative made by someone with no skill what so ever

longy

Jun 26, 2009
australia
hey plecolad any chance you could put up a pic? that is similar to what i am doing however i am unsure with the internal filter as well as the sponge. though that does sound like it would elliminate any area that isnt being circulated. is the current too strong for the fry though?

PlecoLad-UK

Nov 11, 2009
Hampshire
hey there, i will take some picture when im back at uni on tuesday. The current isnt too strong as the filter sponge is placed so that the water basically drifts along the surface if that makes sense? as for the filter, it literally just pumps the water out, has no affect on the breeding trap at all. Its not totally fool proof its just a first attempt. Ive seen many people simply use a large 3 or 4 litre tub with a sponge filter, place it in the tank for heat and treat it as a tank in its own right, using 6mm airline to take water out and replace it. ta-aquaculture can give you an example of the sponge filters, they go down to about 10L in capacity and are truly tiny. Im not sure they ship to oz but im sure you can find something similar. The problem im having to over come at present is im paranoid that the level of water will drop but at present know more that around a cm has happened

longy

Jun 26, 2009
australia
ok plecolad yours sounds impressive still so a pic would be cool thanks.
zebra i am also very interested in seeing your fry saver in the tank, also what are the dimensions of it.
thanks.