Fussy L397's

222Cam222

Nov 24, 2011
Newcastle NSW
I bought a few l397's about 5 weeks ago and have been trying to feed them zucchini, cucumber, sweet potato, algae wafers and they have not shown the slightest bit interested in eating them. I end up having to take them out the next morning still untouched.
I know they have been eating the driftwood because they surely would of starved by now.
So my question is 'is wood nutritional enough to keep them nice and healthy'

Thanks

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
What type of wood do you have?
How do their tummies look?

You could try soaking any food in garlic as it is claimed to be an appetite stimulant amongst other things

222Cam222

Nov 24, 2011
Newcastle NSW
I dunno what type of wood it is, found it by a river and used to have it in another tank prior to getting these fish.
Yeah their tummies look nice and full.
That's a good idea will try that tomorrow night thanks :)

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Also Sweet potato or yamyam is often quite enjoyed by panaques/panaqolus, it could be worth blanching it just a little to soften it up, just to try and get them going.

Keep us updated:yes:

222Cam222

Nov 24, 2011
Newcastle NSW
You could try soaking any food in garlic as it is claimed to be an appetite stimulant amongst other things[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. They actually came out, had a little sample before quickly darting back into cover :)

MICKSNOWDOG

Jan 30, 2011
AUSTRALIA
hikari algae wafers are pretty popular, mine eat everything tho, maybe try putting the food between a couple of logs and switching the lights out, feeding before bed etc. they dont like coming out in daylight