going away question

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi, I am planning to go on vacation in June for 5 days. I have 3 tanks, 54g, 30g and 20g.

I know this question has been asked before , but for different time periods. I plan to ask a friend to stop in and check the filters (all HOB's) . My main concern is the 54g which has 2 L128's (1 small and one about 5inches) , and a farlowella . All three of these fish get a veggie each night. I don't plan to ask my friend to feed anyone, just make sure the filters are running. Will they be ok for 5 days no food ? My friend said he is not comfortable putting veggies in the tank

. My phantoms refuse to eat wafers. Should I start cutting down soon, feed every-ohter day, then every 3 days so they get used to less food?

My 2nd concern is my 20g ,which I am planning to use as a q-tank ,but atm I have many platy , babies, juvies, lots, and a few adults. They are always begging for food , but I only feed them 1 time in the am. Will they be ok ?

I know 5 days is not that long , but to fishies used to eating daily, I don't want any fighting or stress.

Thanks ,

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
The fish should be okay. My biggest concern would be the platys as livebearers aren't opposed to eating their fry. As those are fed flake (?) its a simple matter to portion out the food into feeding sizes and instruct your friend to feed one per feeding. The plecs and the rest should be okay. On time away from your tanks, water quality should be of primary concern as fish will perish from poor water quality a lot quicker then they'll starve.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
I also agree with lornek. I would do more water changes before or a least 2 more before you go and feed less.fish should be fine for 5 days and water is more important than feeding as overfeeding causes more problems. Hope all works out well and have a nice holiday.cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks everyone. The platy are not in the 54g. So as long as I do my daily wc routine , and cut down on food, the phantoms should be ok. That was my main concern, as was the water . I think I will have a better vacation if I don't have to worry about water quality, so I will cut down of feeding prior to going and no food for anyone while I am away.

Sounds like a plan. Appreciate all your input.