Gold Nugget Concerns

Steve C

Dec 14, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Hi all, Picked up a Gold Nugget on Sunday 25th April - 8 days ago.
Pics here http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4867

Took this pic on the Monday 26th April

Would you say he looks a little on the thin side?

Been eating all week, seen him on Cucumber, Courgette, Prawn, Hikari and Wardleys Algae wafers, Nutrafin Pleco logs and probably Tetra Prima and Frozen bloodworms (once a week only) as thats what the rest of the tank gets.

He was on glass again last night and I had a good look but sorry no pics (no batteries :wb:) and he doesn't look any different to a week ago. Still very active and not shy at all, happy to sit out front of tank even when I get right up close to glass to check him over.

Should I expect him to look a little fatter or does he look pretty healthy to you all?

Steve C

Dec 14, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
He look's fairly healthy to me, no harassment from the other fish?
I've a male BN who can sometime get very protective of cucumber/courgette. I always stick two pieces in at opposite ends of tank but the BN will rush from one end of tank to the other to chase anything off the food and then swim back to his piece again, little so and so. Apart from that it all seems peacefull. The BN, Candy Stripe, Clown and Gold Nugget each have there own hiding spot and the Candy stripe, clown and gold nugget are usually all happy to share one pieces of cucumber at once without any squabbles.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
looks oK to me too. he prob looks thinner than BNs cos they can get quite round, but GNs are often this shape. his tummy is not really sunken, just flat, by my view of the photo. If you are seeing him eat then thats good.

Steve C

Dec 14, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
looks oK to me too. he prob looks thinner than BNs cos they can get quite round, but GNs are often this shape. his tummy is not really sunken, just flat, by my view of the photo. If you are seeing him eat then thats good.
Cool, will just keep an eye on him then to make sure I see him eat every day.

Thanks for the replys.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
He looks fine to me as well. Ive seen my L177 gorge itself on veg and its belly never protrudes much, unlike my other plecs.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
cucumber doesn't really give them much food, nutrition wise, its all water.
courgette would be better for him as far as keeping him full goes, but like the others, i think he looks fine, baryancistrus always look to me like they are thin, but this is only from comparing to some podgy hypans or pseuda's

Steve C

Dec 14, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
cucumber doesn't really give them much food, nutrition wise, its all water.
courgette would be better for him as far as keeping him full goes, but like the others, i think he looks fine, baryancistrus always look to me like they are thin, but this is only from comparing to some podgy hypans or pseuda's
Have been feeding courgette this week, but its not as popular with the natives as the cucumber has been lol. Will persevere and try to convert them to courgette.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Try some other veggies too, tbh courgette isn't much better than cucumber. deshelled peas, red/yellow/orange pepper, spinach, peeled grapes(yes peeled:wacko:) are all good starter veg.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Grapes are fruit is it alright to feed sugar ie fruit ?
And the good thing would be that they sink! If I remember correctly from washing before eating them lol
spinach and capsicum I'm going to introduce them both once I get some
doodles thanks for the list

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
yep some fruits are fine, just don't leave them in for as long as veg as they break down quicker in the water. My plecs love grapes when i feel the urge to stand there trying to peel a few. I even tried the tomato trick, where you put some slices down the tomato and put in hot water, the skin comes off real easy but it doesnt work with grapes:cry:

Steve C

Dec 14, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Yup, most plecs love them, they aren't too keen on the green ones though.
I cant stand peppers, but the plecs (now nicknamed Spotty, Stripey, Spikey and Tiny) seemed to enjoy the orange one last night. Got a good look at the nugget again last night and he seems to be a little plumper so all seems well.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I cant stand peppers, but the plecs (now nicknamed Spotty, Stripey, Spikey and Tiny) seemed to enjoy the orange one last night. Got a good look at the nugget again last night and he seems to be a little plumper so all seems well.

cool, as long as he is eating ok and looks healthy i wouldn't worry too much.