Gold Nugget

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
wow hope he goes well soon. am following this with interest. try shelled peas rubbed with garlic ? Slice your zuchinni like julliene so small slivers. Roll with peas in the lettuce very tight like a roll and place in the tank ? As he eats the lettuce he might munch on the other stuff. Maybe blanch the veggies to soften them up as well. Even try rolling bloodworms in lettuce, gives him protein, better than nothing to fatten him up. wow hope all ok cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
aagree with BB, now that he recoginzes lettuce as a food, you can use it to introduce new veggies by attaching the lettuce to the new veggie. Once he starts to munch on the lettuce, he should get a taste of the new veggie and so on. He may not like some veggies, so dont give up, try a different kind with the lettuce until he gets it and you will know which ones he favors.
He should figure it out soon enough, also, as others said , sweet potato, pumpkin, cocoanut inside , red bell pepper, zucchini..and the list goes on. good luck and keep us informed

georgie

AngryBaconGod

Oct 4, 2011
GTA
Well, he's still hanging in there. His stomach looks better, though he seems content with lettuce and algae. He nibbles on sweet potato, but doesn't eat much.

I'm still experimenting, and gave him a dose of PraziPro today. The dosage is good for 5-7 days according to the bottle.

Should I replace the appropriate proportion when I change the water? I'm doing a lot of water changes for him, since there's always plenty of food in there.

And how many weeks should I dose him for? Suggestions?

Thanks!

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
just out of curiosity, how long do you keep the food in there ? Usually I remove food within 24hours. I would keep up the lettuce and algae. Maybe add some spirulina paste in the lettuce as well ? cheers jk :thumbup:

AngryBaconGod

Oct 4, 2011
GTA
I've been replacing the lettuce daily. I've tried leaving the sweet potato in different lengths of time ( seems to last a couple of days without any apparent effect), and other veggies a day max. The various sinking pellets might be in a couple days before getting vacuumed up.

Will be trying spinach tonight!

AngryBaconGod

Oct 4, 2011
GTA
Well, he likes spinach, at least somewhat. He isn't as voracious with it as lettuce, but he is eating it.

Didn't find silverbeet in the market.

He will not eat any kind of dropped pellet or disc food, that I can tell anyway. He won't even eat algae discs!

AngryBaconGod

Oct 4, 2011
GTA
Ha! The answer to my own questions are:

continue the prazipro for 4 weeks, and replace proportionately with water changes.

New question: should I do anything else to make my wild caught pleco a safe companion to my other tank mates?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
excellent!, well done, glad to hear all the hard work and research has paid off, so many GN dont settle and many people lose them early on, nice to hear a good news story about them

AngryBaconGod

Oct 4, 2011
GTA
Yes he is. He's gone off sweet potato again. A week ago he tore a slice to shreds, and now he's hardly nibbling. Now he goes mad for spinach. I'll put it down to his body telling him what he needs and keep feeding both.

Still won't touch dropped pellets or wafers. But I have some new food on the way from AngelsPlus which will hopefully tempt him.

AngryBaconGod

Oct 4, 2011
GTA
He's back to eating sweet potato. I think he has standards about how fresh it is lol.

Am I going to go through this again when I move from the QT to the display tank in a couple of weeks?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Probably not, at least not to the extent you did before. It may take a couple of days to settle in and get comfortable before it eats well again. This can depend a bit on its tankmates & how they react to the new intro. If done well, the transition to the permanent tank should be no issue.

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
well done for your feeding trials and glad it has worked out. Hope your move goes ok and keep us informed. cheers jk :thumbup:

AngryBaconGod

Oct 4, 2011
GTA
now that he's eating well (albeit with a limited diet - his choice), he doesn't come out as much when we are around. I guess the drive for security > drive for food with a full belly. I did get a chance to see him last night, and while he's not looking any longer, he does seem to me to be a bit fatter. I'm very happy that he's doing well.

He'll be meeting some angelfish in about a week. I hope he doesn't get spooked by them.

AngryBaconGod

Oct 4, 2011
GTA
Small update: he's doing fine. Still not the biggest eater in the tank, but he seems healthy enough and I do believe he's grown a little bit. He got acquainted with a larger Bristlenose a few months ago. They fought for about a week, and now get along swimmingly. I often see them happily hiding under the same driftwood (though they have choices).