Got eggs!

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Just got home from work, I have these on the front glass of the tank.

Can be one of two things, Apistos cacatuiodes or more likely C. aeneus.

Had 2 very gravid females, added another 5 to the tank on Tuesday.

Do you think these are cory eggs?

They are quite white, about 1.5-2mm big does that mean fertilised?

Am i best off leaving them there or will they get lunched?

Current stock is

3 x denisons
2 x Angels
7 x C. aeneus
1 x C. panda
2 x A. cacatuiodes (pair)
5 x neons
10 x Penguin Tetra

I don't have a fry box and I am going out on the **** in 45 mins, should I leave them on the glass? Only substitute I can think of is putting them in a net but then they would have to be high in the water column and therefore subjected to heavy current.

Apologies for so many questions but in this regards I am a n00b.

ETA - I think the net idea is out, the will fit between the gaps I think

Last edited:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
They have changed in even the last 40 mins since I got home, quite a few are transparent now, see below.

It could be the angels as well I guess? :dk:

Edit - there are 2 more batches as well, on those the eggs look broken, not round like these, see second photo

Last edited:

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
Look more like cory eggs to me...Your angels would have been guarding the spawning site for days before laying eggs...The burst one look like they have been eaten unfortunately...I tend to scrape them off with an old type razor blade and place them into a sml breeder tank.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Look more like cory eggs to me...Your angels would have been guarding the spawning site for days before laying eggs...The burst one look like they have been eaten unfortunately...I tend to scrape them off with an old type razor blade and place them into a sml breeder tank.
the Angels aren't showing much interest in the unbroken lot so I guess it must be the corys, I knew all they needed in their life was a male or two!

Heading to the pub now, have placed a net over the remainders in an attempt to stop these getting eaten.

Going to have to try and make a fry nursery tomorrow, something like the link below provided they make it through the night.

I'll have to let that float in the main tank and see how they get on.

Is the fact they are going transparent a good thing or bad?

http://www.sydneycichlid.com/fry-nursery.htm

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Agree cory eggs and yes transparent or darker colour is good :thumbup:

I use plastic tubs like ice cream tubs and make tiny slits in with a heated fish slice then float in parents tank and add an airstone. No need for loads of water changes as they are in the parent tank. Trouble is making it so they don't get through the slits as they can be very tiny fry. I got round this by putting a pop sock over the outside of the tub so the water could still flow through but the fry can't :D

Good luck with them :thumbup:

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
Agree with above. With mine I cut a pop sock or very fine netting to fit over then elastic band it 10 times so there is no escape. I find te best food for them is hikari first bites

daneeyre

Aug 19, 2011
Birmingham
with cory eggs i fix a tank inside one on my system so that the water stays heated. the eggs are then placed in the tank with an airstone and meth blue to stop fungus.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Thanks for the input, hugely appreciated.

I will keep my makeshift net on until I can transfer them successfully to another makeshift contraption.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
One thing I will say is this time I hatched them out I had 100% survive, they are on sand. Last few batches only about 50% survived because they were on bare plastic. Just something to concider :thumbup:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
I have a few white ones, but some viable apparently.

witness my ghetto fry trap.

Can't do much more for them this evening will have to see what the morning brings.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Nice one :D

If you can transfer them to something safer tomorrow be best as they will probably fit through the net once they hatch :wb:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Nice one :D

If you can transfer them to something safer tomorrow be best as they will probably fit through the net once they hatch :wb:
I am in the process of raiding the kitchen cupboards to see what I can hack apart to make something safer. Mrs Xingu is in Nepal until Saturday so I have free reign over the tupperware et al for now ;)

once i pick up some silicon and fine mesh tomorrow I think we are in :thumbup:

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
I am in the process of raiding the kitchen cupboards to see what I can hack apart to make something safer. Mrs Xingu is in Nepal until Saturday so I have free reign over the tupperware et al for now ;)

once i pick up some silicon and fine mesh tomorrow I think we are in :thumbup:
You know you're fish mad when any kitchen container is seen as a potential fry saver :lol:

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
Ice cream tub, lunch box, anything like that. Also thwh will need access to the surface once hatched. What could work is a heated pin and pole through a plastic container. They fit through anything larger than a mm as a rough guide

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Ok, I have a deep container that I have put a section cup in, that will attach to the bottom of my drip tray, needs to be deep because of the current. Two windows and some mesh and we have a fry trap, job done for now. Just need to add gravel and possibly an airstone.

I have a little helper, tries to get involved except he is not much help, he does make me chuckle though

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
what fun you two must have when the missus is away :lol:, nice container and all ideas given to you should work. With gravel if you have sand great, I found fry were getting stuck in gravel and died. You can use a razor blade to get the eggs off or wet yr fingers and roll them off they tend to stick really well. As usual, do not let the eggs get air on them so transfer them in the tank into the container. good luck and cheers jk :thumbup:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
So, finished the fry saver then lost all the eggs whilst attempting to scrape them off the glass :(

Ah well will have to try again as and when they spawn again

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
oh shoot :wb: there is definitely an art to getting them off, not sure i've quite mastered that either without smooshing some in the process :whistle: