Got eggs!

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
What a bummer!!!:wb: At least you are ready for the next lot. :thumbup:
How long do you generally wait before removing them?

My tank is quite deep and they were right at the bottom, tried scraping them into a glass but it just didn't work

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
If they crumble as soon as touched, they aren't fertilized. They are surprisingly tough , they should roll off the glass. Try anubias nana, mine love to lay on them.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
good luck next time.
I find I can usually get most of them off the glass by rolling them onto my finger not long after laid (as I think they harden up) - assuming cory eggs.
then roll them onto a stone and put into fry saver.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
good luck next time.
I find I can usually get most of them off the glass by rolling them onto my finger not long after laid (as I think they harden up) - assuming cory eggs.
then roll them onto a stone and put into fry saver.
Yeah it was 24 hours or so when I tried as I had to make a fry saver.

Trick will be to catch them before the Angels and Apistos munch them

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Something has spawned again.

The eggs were laid on the end of the out pipe for the Eheim so right at the top of the tank, do Corys do it this high?

Manager to get about 10 eggs into fry saver which is now hanging in tank with an airtstone in.

Not sure about the colour of the eggs, they look more yellow this time but will just leave them there and see.

How long ish before I know whether I have anything alive, 4-5 days?

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Yes mate, higher the temp quicker they hatch. I tried the scraping method and failed miserably. Any cory eggs I have successfully hatched in the past I have literally rolled off the glass with my fingers, as young jack has mentioned they are very tough. My method of hatching is filling a takeaway food tub (plastic) with tank water and some meth blue or if you can get some alder cones and add an airstone. All you have to do is change the water everyday which takes 2 mins. Don't worry about the temp as corys like it cooler anyway....... Now to get back to drinking beer on the Aegean coastline

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Now to get back to drinking beer on the Aegean coastline
Good lad!

mine are in a tupperware container with very fine mesh covering windows on two side so that water can come in and out of the main tank that it is hanging in.

Airstone in there as well

Is there an issue leaving 'bad' eggs in with the good ones?

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
They will be a solid cream colour. Possibly have fungus on them. If you can remove the affected eggs as they can pass it on to good eggs.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Hmmm they may all be fungused then.

I'll leave them another couple of days and see where they at.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
Fertilized eggs will be pretty tough if careful obviously. When laid leave for at least 30minutes to allow them to harden. Over the first day they will stick to things, after that they cannot be moved onto a different object