Green phantom needs help.

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi
Got a bit of problem with my l200 high fin its seems to have white small patches on its body I have had a bit of white spot and treating the fish with PROTOZIN by Waterlife and unfortunately the green phantom does not seem to be responding and looking worse than before I have not finished the recommended does yet I have dosed day 1,2,3 and due to do the last dose on this sunday.
I usually treat if got a problem in tank and things get better but not this time.
Should I be seeing some improvement at this stage?.
The fish I was originally treating for white spot look a better now.
Can I treat the fish with Melafix or Primafix before the last dose is due of PROTOZIN?.
The tank is well established for months.
Water parameters are
Nitrate 12.5,Nitrite 00.0,PH 7.4,KH 13,GH 12

Any input would be great.

Thanks.

Jerry

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Are you def sure its white spot?

Sometimes the fish look worse before they look better, ich stays hidden before emerging as clear spots. The med can only kill them when the ich is free swimming. When my L200 had ich a couple of years ago, he looked worse after a couple of days then started to clear.

Increase aeration as protozin contains ingredients that remove oxygen from the water.

You should be ok to use the prim/mela combo as they are both herbal.

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi Doodles

Thanks for reply,I was treating some 5 banded barbs and rhomb barbs that had signs of white spot then the green phantom looked like it had protozoa or skin flukes white patchy bits on the skin,I diagnosed it from the fish disease chart I use,thought Protozine was the med also does white spot and the green phantom is looking worse than before the cat fish are flicking and also other fish.

I will dose with Melafix tonight and see if any improvement in the morning my tank does not get this type of problem usually.
I am running a UV light on it also 40 cardinals not showing any signs of it at all usually gauge the tank by them.:dk:

Jerry

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Turn the UV off, it can mess with the meds especially the protozin as im pretty sure it contains copper

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hey Jerry.

I would think about adding some carbon and doing a water change to remove the meds, then restarting the treatment(remove carbon first). Just worried that the uv might of affected the protozin and this may be why the L200 isn't improving. Especially you aren't due to dose again for 3 days or so.

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi Doodles and Irene0100

Will do 25% water change and up the temp was on 27 and will melafix tonight keep eye on fish then last Protozine dose tomorrow as planed if all goes well if not carbon pump and restart meds.

Thank for the info and caring will keep you posted.:thumbup:

Jerry

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi
Not so much of the old all though you are right LOL.

Green phantom looking good just one mark on the side small though the cat fish still are flicking a lot are and cardinals show signs of white spot as well all other fish not affected now or at the mo.
Course of action was Protozine 1,2,3,days (its the third day tonight with uv off) then day 4 and 5 Mexafix day 6 last dose of Protozin.
I am upting the temp with spare heater tonight.:yes:
The other thing I have done is to remove the new barbs and re homed them else where not in my tanks.
I think there is to much going on in my tank all though they were not touched by other fish just not the right environment for them to relax completely and may well reccur again,my fault lets say bad decision on my part but we live and learn.
On the whole things are on the mend.:thumbup:

Will keep you posted and thanks for caring.

Jerry(He who is learning a lesson slowly)

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Don't forget to increase aeration, protozin contains formalin which removes oxygen from the water plus the higher temp.

Hopefully now you are on track with the meds, the whitespot will be gone soon.

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi
Tank has a lot of aeration I have a Eheim 2080 Pro 3 and a Fluval 405 both with spray bars jetting into the water making plenty of air should be enough to cover but will keep an eye on it.

Thanks

Jerry

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
good luck, however much you read up there always seems to be quite a lot of learning with fish keeping they always surprise us with something else..
thats why the articles on here and other places are good.

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi Irene0100
Thanks for that I have never had such a bad case of white spot like this before might be due to the size of tank 6x2x2 can't think of anything else that is different from other times,I admit I forgot the uv so this has not helped I know I'm in the clear when cardinals showing signs of recovery but as of now look whiter than ever just hope its a case of getting worse before it gets better so long as they are swimming,shoaling and eating I'm ok with it,if this does not work will repeat the dose strait away and keep temp up its 29 at the mo,can only wait and see I would hate to loose any of my fish in the tank had them quite a while from young most of them.
I have read on the net to keep temp up after they show signs of getting better they say 10 days would this be correct?.

Jerry

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes once they are better there can still be eggs or something in the tank so you have to be vigilant for a while and carry on treatments or whatever.
I must admit I always though UV was good at preventing major outbreaks, is your UV bulb fairly new?

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi
Yes I would say under a year and its a Vectron 600 so should be big enough to cope with the size of tank.Thats what I can't understand I thought this would stop white spot and always has as of till now.
Maybe if this does not clear up this time will get new bulb might be faulty.:dk:
Got plenty of Protozin brought big bottle of double strength that should sort them out LOL.

Jerry

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi Lornek8
Best shot I can get without stressing them to much what do you think?.
Need to look at it in larger size.:yes:
Cardinals are about 25 to 30mm in size.
Jerry

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Looks like ich.

Just to add
Don't over estimate the power of a UV when it comes to parasites.

1. The flow over the UV light has to be very accurate to kill parasites
2. The UV only kills parasites that pass over the UV light. Any that are in the substrate, on the fish or even in the tank water would be fine unless they end up going through the sterilizer.

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi
Due for last dose of Protozine tonight (day 6)cardinals look like they are a little better the green phantom looks very much better,I am a bit worried about my titanic here is a couple of pics does this look like white spot(ich)or does it look like some other infection and do I need to dose with something other than Protozine and in between Melafix on day 4 and 5.
I know I will need to finish course of meds I am doing at the mo but not entirely sure of the titanic pleco,it is about 120mm SL swimming around more than usual and breathing is fast speed?.
I am assuming it is white spot or ich and will get better after last dose of Protozine tonight.:dk:

Any ideas.Thanks

Jerry