Green phantom needs help.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I looked at the pics, maybe im being blind but can't see exactly what you mean. Could you explain?

Whats the temp?

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi Doodles

What I mean is the marks that are white in color is not the right markings and I think is white spot and need someone to confirm it for me that in fact is the same (ich)as I am medicating for at the mo.
Breathing is heaver than normal and he is not hiding is out and about,unusual for this type of fish also not seen no evidence of feeding for a while.
Temp as said before 29 at the mo.
Can't be much clearer than that hope this helps.

Jerry

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Have you got or can you set up another tank for him to use?

It may be that he isn't reacting very well to the protozin.

Did you half dose?

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi
Not got other tank for him will have to stay.
I did full dose Protozine as I have dosed this before and all was well then,even the syno's were ok with it and are this time and always are.
Maybe he has been more affected by the ich this time as it has taken longer to put right this time.:dk:

Jerry

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
ok. The reason why it says to half dose is because of the malachite green. Catfish find it more difficult to get rid of malachite green in their system than other fish, this could mean that the toxic effect would more than likely build up within catfish which could explain his reaction.

Also

Malachite is a respiratory poison
http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/malachite.htm

Does it say on the bottle when you can do a waterchange after the final dose?

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi
Does not say but I take it that the end dose lasts a day so tonight will start half dose but am going to not stop on days 4 and 5 just treat through to day 6.
25% water change is done I am going to add some more air hopefully now and see how it goes cardinals still showing signs of white spot no better from the pic really.

Keep you posted.

Thanks

Jerry

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi
Dose for the 6th day tonight most fish in the tank on the mend lost 10 cardinals over 3 days now ,this seems to of stopped now,none lost for 2 days but I think I'm going to loose a few more as some have concaved stomachs and swimming with tails down but so long as I remove the dead ones asap no harm done.
I intend to do a water change tomorrow and this will be 25% and I will use part mature water from my other tanks this time as I have a slight ammonia reading as would be expected with the medication being done.

Not out of the danger yet but on the whole looking better.

Jerry

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi
Just to update and finish thread as I think important to do,the fish are looking better and lost 3 more cardinals all other fish fully recovered now and will be doing treatment for another 2 doses and 50% water change and hopefully will be back to normal.

Thanks for reading and hope this helps others.

Jerry

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
oh dear its worrying for you. I agree it does not look totally like whitespot on the plecs, they look more like white splodges than 'grains of salt' in appearance, but that may be movement in the pic, so you have to go by what you can see.
meds with MG in can also upset the filters a bit so may be worth adding some bio help for the filters? hope they pull through.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Glad its working, tetras are quite sensitive to the ingredients in protozin unfortunately

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi
Just a final update its been just over a month since last update and all fish have fully recovered now I ended up dosing Protozin for 6 more days and 50% water change keeping eye on water stats,all ok.

Irene
You were correct the pumps ended up with a brown jelly in them due to Protozn treatment which has got better with cleaning and water changes.

The titanic's problem got worse to the end almost loosing all color,but I found out this was due to lack of aeration even though I put more in with air stones while dosing also this was not helped by the jelly in the pumps but now he has fully recovered and the green phantom is looking good and back to normal.:yes:
I lost half my cardinals which is a shame as some were well over an inch more like a inch and a quarter.:cry:
The end result could have been a lot worse but was not.:woohoo:

But would like to thank all for your help and good advise.:thumbup:

Jerry