HELP!!! They Hatched!

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Hi Everyone,

Well, my Sterbais laid some eggs on Wednesday and I moved the eggs into a homemade fry saver (I guess thats what you would call it). Today I was changing the water in the fry saver and I noticed a baby darting around! There are 3 more eggs that will probably hatch some time today. It must of hatched within the last hour or so.

When do I feed them? And can I give them hakari first bites? I didn't make any bbs (I'm getting that started now) but it will take 24 hrs for the bbs to hatch. Any help is greatly appreciated. I really wasn't expecting them to hatch and this is my first time with cory fry :dk:

THANK YOU!!!

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
They should be free-swimming in 2 days and thats when to offer food. Soak some hikari first bites and then put a small amount in. I also use liquifry number 1 and mix that together with rotifers which is similar to hikari first bites. Sterbai fry are very tiny aren't they :D

Good luck with them :thumbup:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
agree with joby. Wait till their sac is fully gone. soak the food first and crush in hand when feeding them. cheers jk :thumbup:

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Joby, THANK YOU for helping me! They hatched today and I see them scurrying around on the bottom of the fry saver. Is this considered "free swimming" or not yet? They hatched this afternoon (I even saw one break free) so should I wait 2 days from now? I know this sounds like a silly question but angelfish fry are a bit different so that's why I ask. And yes, they are sooo tiny!!!

I know I'm annoying...always asking questions!

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Joby, THANK YOU for helping me! They hatched today and I see them scurrying around on the bottom of the fry saver. Is this considered "free swimming" or not yet? They hatched this afternoon (I even saw one break free) so should I wait 2 days from now? I know this sounds like a silly question but angelfish fry are a bit different so that's why I ask. And yes, they are sooo tiny!!!

I know I'm annoying...always asking questions!
Two days after they hatch they should be free swimming so feed on the third day, so I would be looking at feeding on Wednesday :thumbup:

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Joby, thank you for updating me! I'm blonde & Polish...so I ask a lot of questions :D

I'll try to capture some pics when they come out of hiding. I have a leaf in with them and they seem to be hiding under it.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
I had to ask a couple of weeks ago when I had my first cory fry in a few years as I'd forgotten :whistle:

The leaf is a good idea for them to hide but also there could be micro organisms on there for them to nibble on too :)