How do you clean your moss of snails?

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
I am wanting to transfer some moss on driftwood to my new shrimp tank tomorrow however my tank has ramshorn snails in it,
I am not familiar with cleaning plants or moss so would like some advice in regards to the best methods to do so?

Thank you

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
Depending how big the wood is you can soak it in potasium permanganate (get it at the chemist). A few crystals in the water, enough to make it turn purple, soak for an hour then rinse well and no more snails:thumbup:
Only thing is i don't know for sure if it stains the wood or not but i suspect even if it does it will return to it's normal colour after a time.
You can do this with any plants you buy as well.
I HATE snails!

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
hmm thanks for replies, i set the new tank up today and decided not to take the risk as i cant get the stuff required nor have the time.

I intially held loose parts under the light and picked snails off but not worth it lol.

Will post pics of new tank later is my first planted tank pretty much, well it has plants lol

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
It's not hard to kill the snails as u seen lots of great methods it's the risk that there are egg sacks quick I can guarantee there is!
Best that you didn't try