How do you know if they're going to spawn

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Hi Everyone,

Well, I THINK my Sterbai's are getting ready to spawn. There has been a lot of activity going on in the tank and today I noticed 2 of my cories under the driftwood and what I suspect they are mating.

I know this sounds like a ridiculous question, but is there any way to tell by their actions if they are getting ready to lay eggs? And where are they most likely to lay eggs? My angelfish will lay eggs on the filter tube or on Sword leaves, but I have never noticed Sterbai eggs and I've wondered if the angelfish have eatten them in the past.

Thank you in advance for you help. I'm obviously new to Cory's but I wish I had a Cory tank as opposed to an angelfish tank. They are so much fun to watch and endearing (not nasty like my "angel"fish).

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Yes female will be very fat and when they are going to spawn they go absolutely mental zipping up and down the glass and the males will keep following the females and positioning themselves in front of her.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
yup agree, females get fat, do a water change 40% and then watch them zip up and down like a cory on speed, followed by those feisty males. They tend to lay eggs everywhere and not just in one place. Remove the eggs or cories, otherwise the other males will eat the eggs. cheers jk :thumbup:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes mine usually lay the the day after the cold water change. the males sometimes seem to display to each other, fin quivering etc to see who is better!

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
Thanks for the info!!!

Well, the activity took place the day after my typical weekly water change. They didn't go up and down the glass so much. They were under this huge piece of driftwood that has a cave-like area and the smaller one kept swimming over the larger one back and forth, frantically. They were like two 18 year olds all over each other :whistle:. Never noticed any eggs though. I got them in July and they've grown a lot since then, so I assume they're coming to an age where they can spawn. I'm not sure how long the eggs would survive anyway, since I have angelfish and my L134 in there too.