hypan slate cave

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
wasnt sure where to put this, so please move if in the wrong place

well i was bored before a late shift at work today so came up with this cave for my hypans, not tried it yet. your opinions please

I

intrepidmax

Really good idea mate.

I like it. at least the fish will have a choice of caves to choose from.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Really good idea mate.

I like it. at least the fish will have a choice of caves to choose from.
:yes: thats the plan, ive noticed with a few of my hypan groups thta the males will stay in one size cave 90% of the time unteill they are deady to spawn, then they will move to a different cave. this idea gives them 4 sizes to choose from so we will see what happens

I

intrepidmax

Right Im off to build some crazy caves like yours for the Homo troop (L199's) see if they fancy a bit of choose a cave action. pmsl.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
cheers, looks bit tatty as i was tired and couldnt be bothered to make it look nice like my usual caves, but it will do for a tester me thinks

I

intrepidmax

Well the slate empire is still being built......but im having some crazy thoughts about it......you see the L shaped river tanks is huge....If and when I put plecs in.....I wont ever see them.....So Im trying to work out what im going to do. The river tank ain't complete yet and still has minimal amounts of work to be done.

So when the backing goes in for the left tank ...then the empire will follow.....and then i need top work out whats going in.

But it needs to be hypancistrus....

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
I had problems with caves like this - one male in it would fight off anyone else...
never had any spawns in them as they were always getting disturbed

I ended up using them in grow out tanks.

Last edited:

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
I had problems with caves like this - one male in it would fight off anyone else...
never had any spawns in them as they were always getting disturbed

I ended up using them in grow out tanks.
good to know Russ, ill give it a go and if it doesnt work i have a few other ideas planned as well :yes:

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
You could put a couple of these caves in your tanks well spread out it would give each male there own cave block to be king of, I have 3 cave and slate sections in my zeb tank each section controlled by its own male for that kind of setup these caves would work well