Hypancistrus ID?

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
This is getting very interesting.

Yann's fish were hydrid between L066 father and L136 mother as per the following link:
http://dignall.com/gallery/v/catfish/yannfulliquet/album19/album22/album30/DSCN6243.jpg.html

Yann has kindly replied to me and I'm sure in the spirit of sharing information he wouldn't mind me copying this:

Hi Mark!!

very interesting fish, if they were just about 1in - 1.5in, it would have been a relative coherant pattern.
Still the fish seems to have a bit too much spots and toobig too be L004/005/28/73

Do you know if Danny has kept these with some L66 or anything else, if it would have been a spotted species only, the fin pattern would have been different. The fact these have almost a lineated fin pattern tend to make me believe it is a hybrid especially at this size, the presence of a line behind the eyes, crossing side to side the head, which is a rather typical feature of L66 and co...is another sign for hybrid

Now I am not so sure the it is a L04/5/28/73 that is involved, I would more likely believe the fish is something like a L136. But I must admit the Hypancistrus sp L4/5/28/73 is one of the Hypancistrus that hybridise itself with the most facility, compare to other species of the genus.

It really would be interesting to know which Hypancistrus have been kept together...

So, Yann is also suspecting hybrid, next stop is to pin down images of the parents, which I am sure I can get in the next few months, I'm not in a rush!

another pic of the same fish - they don't move much!

Cheers,
Mark.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Very interesting indeed. My moneys still firmly on Hybrid but would love for it to be a new hypan on the block:)

Look forward to pics of the adults

Cheers

thegeeman

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
very interesting, that last pic reminds me a lot of my L066 but with a different pattern. body shape and tail is very similar but the colouration and pattern is clearly not the same fish. will be interesting to see pics of parents.

my money would be on a L066 cross with something, but what im not sure

I

intrepidmax

I still think its a possible variation of the L066. I will keep a close eye on this thread to find out the outcome.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
As the rest have said none of my books have anything i would call close to this sp., stunning fish none the less.

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
Hypancistrus sp.

An update to this thread.

I went to a CSG meeting last month where the owner of the parent fish gave a presentation, including pictures of his Hypan tank. His adult 'L04's' looked similar to my youngsters - although his could have been a L136 type. Ian Fuller was also at the meeting and suggested they were similar to the L136's he spawned a few years ago, pics of his fry (quite similar) are on PC. I still haven't got copies of his adult parent fish pics to show you.

To add to the hybrid theory, Danny does have other Hypans in the tank including L411 and L066. All things considered, I am not convinced they are hybrid, after seeing the pics of his adults. As mine grow, the spots are more obvious, as opposed to the stripes - maybe they just take a long time to pattern-up. Here's a pic I took today:

Oh, and I've spawned them now, a couple of times (if hybrid parents - definately not sterile). Here's a pic of a few fry at 5 days, the dad kicked out around 25 newly hatched eggs but only 6 have made it past 5 days:

Don't worry, I'm not going to distribute any youngsters until I'm convinced of the parentage. But it'll be interesting to see them develop.

Cheers,
Mark.

Last edited:

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
EDIT: Just looked on PC at Ians pics and I have got to say they do look simillar. My only concern is on 136 they have lots of small spots and on yours they seem to still have some stripes and the spots look more spaced out. hmmmmmmmm the story continues

Cheers

thegeeman

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
L136

Hi Jo,
Thanks for that. I haven't seen L136 in the flesh, although there appear to be a number of types (a,b,c) which have progressively larger spots. Mine don't have any stripes now they've grown on, probably around 30 months old now. It's very difficult to portray in the pics I have shown, and when I net them they assume stress colours.

Of course I would love it if they were a solid species but will accept the fact if they are mongrels. Its the CSG show and auction this Sunday so I'll talk some more with Danny about his parent fish - I may ask him to bring one of the parents along. I'll keep you al posted on the fry development too - good to have a public record of these things.

Mark.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
I have always thought that the L136 a/b/c thing was to denote sizing of the spots with "a" having the smallest and closest together.

Looking at the most recent pic Mark i personally dont think its a hybrid.

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
FF,
Next time you're passing through Boston, pop in and have a look at these. Or if you want a lift to the CSG auction and show on Sunday let me know - I'll be leaving around 10am.

There's plenty of action with them, after rescuing the spawn 6 days ago, the dad's sat on another clutch of eggs - obviously another female.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
CSG

I'm afraid not. Despite being an international society, the club still has its roots fixed firmly in deepest darkest Lancashire. There was talk of hosting next years convention in the Midlands, at least, but instead its been moved from Wigan to Southport.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a NW exile myself but it is difficult for those down South to get involved at regular meetings.

Well worth tying in a visit to Pier Aquatics or something. The next big event is the Autumn auction in November - time to plan it now.

Cheers,
mark.

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
L136b

Update on the hypan I.D.

The fish were presented at the CSG Convention this weekend, F1, F2 plus photos of the F0 adults. Ingo Seidel confirmed, IHO, that this is a solid species and is probably L136b. Nice to hear he's currently working on a Hypan book too.

Glad I kept hold of the babies, and I'll stop stopping them breeding from now on!

Cheers,
Mark.