I think my zebras may be spawning?

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
One of my males has another zeb trapped, not sure if its female, but I think so...Anyway he is blocking the entrance and is kinda on top of the other one. Not much movement, but the male's pelvic fins are vibrating very fast. I think this could be it, but don't want another young male getting beat up. Any advice would be great!
Dave

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
sounds like it, if it was a male and male they wouldnt be in there too long and one would end up stripped. vibrating like that is a good sign fingers crossed

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
Thanks for the replies guys, I don't know what happened but...they are not in there anymore. They have been in there since at least 17:00 when I got home from work, if not longer. I just checked on them since it is dark now and no one is in their caves-all out feeding. I guess at least I know they're interested. Maybe time to try and stimulate them?

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Congratulations on the attempt, my recommendation would be to try and stimulate them.
Up the protein and small water changes.

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
Thanks for the advice everyone. Do I want to cool it off for a few days, then do some w/c with the ro while raising the temp back up? :dk:

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
Just an update, I unplugged the heater for 2 days and it got down to 78f. Then did a big w/c with straight r/o water(I normally use half tap, half r/o). Plugged the heater back in so now its like 84-85 in the tank, this was on wed or thurs...The next day the female is back in the cave for a few hours, but no eggs. Today she is back in there and I'm hoping the third time is a charm. Something just looks different this time-he is laying right on top of her, I'll keep you all posted as I am sure if eggs do appear I will have many more questions for the experts!

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
OMG I HAVE A MALE ON EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo: NOW WHAT DO I DO?B-)

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
OMG I HAVE A MALE ON EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo: NOW WHAT DO I DO?B-)
congrats :clap:

leave the tourch alone and cover the tank :yes:

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
I will cover up the tank so not to disturb them. How long before I should look for babies? Should I leave the fry withh the rest of the colony or remove once they hatch? The tank is 120cm x 30cm with good cover and 14 zebras ranging from2" sub-adults to full-grown adults...Oh what to do!?!?:clap:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
brilliant well done,
keep an eye on the tank for any kicked out eggs.
keep a good eye on the ph as with a lot of RO the ph can swing , if it does do a w/c and add some buffer or treated tap back in.