I think my zebras may be spawning?

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
Man oh man!!!! I must be doing something right! There is ANOTHER MALE in ANOTHER CAVE with ANOTHER FEMALE!:woohoo: Let's just hope it all pans out.;)

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
I remove my fry once there yolk sac has been consumed, then they go into a fry saver in the same tank.
I then get them eating properly making sure there stomach's are nice and fat leaving that for a week or two until they go back into the main tank depending on species or into a fry grow-out tank.

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
The eggs have hatched today! :clap:One of the eggs was out of the caves this morning, I was short on time, so I left it thinking it was no good. I get home and it is hatched! I will put it into a fry saver and cross my fingers! The other cave still has a male and female in it also, let's hope!:D

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
thats brilliant, especially as often first eggs are infertile.

once one pair mate they up the pherimones in the tank which encourages other.

look forward to pics of fry soon!

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
Well, the male kicked out another egg so I moved him cave and all into the fry trap. Hopefully this works...I think there are 4 fry total, will figure out how to post pics later today.:yes:

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
Well, its been 2 weeks and I have 7 zebra fry from my first spawn!:woohoo: This is the first pleco that I have ever spawned. I have them in a fry saver in the main tank-I just moved them out of papa's cave tonight, hopefully all will go well. Time will tell...Just out of curiousity-for those who have spawned zebras before, when do you usually experience losses? I just wanna know when I will be out of the woods, so to speak. Thanks everyone for all the help, I really do appreciate it! It is very exciting to do something that you have always dreamed of.:yes:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well done, generally first spawn can have some /all infertile eggs from female carring them too long or male being clue-less. as the parents get older and wiser the spawn numbers improve.