I want a Panaque

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I know some of you guys have really cool panaques:yes:

What info and advice could you give me if I was new to plecs and wanted to get a panaque?

Pics also would be very cool<3<3

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
I find with my L191 Royal, an array of woods is very important, as well as feeding loads of veg. Also these guys produce a load of waste so heavy water changes and loads of filtration are key. Here's a pic of mine starting on a new piece of driftwood.
[/IMG]

Last edited:

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
I agree with Stan, and will add high aeration, especially with the larger sized Royals. I use bubble wands in the tanks with my Royals as well as AquaClear powerheads with the venturi working. I also have a battery backup by Azoo on these tanks to keep the aeration going when there are periods of local power failures, since these larger fish are more affected by lowered O2 levels than my smaller fish.

HTH!

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Make sure your filters can cope, my biggest L190 could choke a 1200 and 1000 lph external in a week, and im sure you know rest. Im looking into pressurized pond filters with solids handling pump for my panaque. Im sure you know the rest.

My biggest:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
do you have a big tank?
if not ,think about dwarf panaque like clowns, flash etc.?
or did you fancy a big hairy royal panaque? super creatures. I have one, who is quite shy but sometimes sits where i can see him under a log (see my pic in June POTM).
BUT I did have 2, but they fought badly , so had to give the smaller one away (to brian)

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Consider your future budget as once you have one of these incredible Plecs you'll be smitten and want more, which = More filtration, more wood (primarily for diet) Bigger tanks etc
I assume your interested mostly in the larger species more than the likes of Panaque Maccus, standard Royals like L190 and the dull eye L191 are commonly available and therefore slightly cheaper but if possible research them all and see if any of the slightly rarer, better looking L027 variants are available and catch your eye, or maybe a Watermelon L330 B-)
If your buying from a shop be aware that some species (xingu i believe) may currently be on the ban list for importation.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Hey Lisa,

Did somebody say "I want a Panaque"?

Thanks for the PM ;-)

I have a nice 190 looking for a new owner its approximately 5"

You coming next weekend?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hey Lisa,

Did somebody say "I want a Panaque"?

Thanks for the PM ;-)

I have a nice 190 looking for a new owner its approximately 5"

You coming next weekend?
No worries, good luck with the weekend. Not sure ill be able to get there:(

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Personally I would prefer one of the smaller Panaques, I do plan to upgrade to a really big tank in the future and I know they grow fairly slowly but would prefer to have the tank first.

Thanks for all the valuable information and pics guys:clap::clap::clap:

ani-mal-lvr

May 20, 2009
Wisconsin U.S.A.
Like mentioned above, sawdust makerz require big time filtration. For a smaller wood muncher I wood highly recommend L204. thats if you kin get them reasonably.

I'll be lookin for the "I got a Panaque" thread.

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Personally I would prefer one of the smaller Panaques
Not sure on availability but there are 2-3 nice small panaques you might consider, most obvious apart from Maccus being L169 (LDA01) or a nice Mustard Spot LDA31 though if you can find one L306 (LDA64) look proper tasty, almost like a dennis the menace fish.
Though what you really need is an L418 <3<3

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Like mentioned above, sawdust makerz require big time filtration. For a smaller wood muncher I wood highly recommend L204. thats if you kin get them reasonably.

I'll be lookin for the "I got a Panaque" thread.
lol won't be yet, im getting a nano tank first, finally have the funds for it:clap::clap:
I think Im going to do a nano tank setup log on here somewhere.

Not sure on availability but there are 2-3 nice small panaques you might consider, most obvious apart from Maccus being L169 (LDA01) or a nice Mustard Spot LDA31 though if you can find one L306 (LDA64) look proper tasty, almost like a dennis the menace fish.
Though what you really need is an L418 <3<3
The LDA31 looks really nice.

I have a Maccus already:yes:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Planted and shrimps, can't wait to get it now:clap::clap:
I really love planted tanks, but got side tracked into plecs lol.
Hopefully should order one by the end of this week.

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
lol yeah, must get some fresh shots! He lost a couple of 6" wiska's in fights etc then settled down, they all have there own cave/patch and seem to get along OK. Im thinking of thinning out a little ready for a LDA65 but cant stand to see any of them go, I do have some american bumblebee cats that need a new home.......big fat greedy knackers!