interesting, anyone had this happen before?

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
My L411 have been messing about for the last few days now so i new a spawn was going to happen. Earlier i noticed the male in his cave backwards so i new they had spawned so i left them too it. Just checked the tank though and theres 4 adults in there, but i can only find 3 so i looked in the cave where the male was and saw eggs but to my suprise behind the eggs is the female still trapped :wb:

im not sure what to do now, with the female still trapped if the male lets her out it means the eggs will also come out the cave but im worried if i leave them she will be stuck untill the eggs hatch :huh:. The cave is a size 2 clay one so not big, not even sure how 2 adults and a big clutch of eggs can fit in it lol but it has :yes:

Anyway, not sure what to do. i was thinking of removing the male and the eggs and try to get them into another spare cave and risk the chance of him eating or kicking the eggs, really dont fancy leaving them all in the cave and risk loosing the female and the eggs.

anyone got any ideas or had anything like this happen before????

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
difficult call. I would leave them to it for a day or two and keep watch in case eggs get kicked out -so be ready with a fry saver.
if she is still there in a couple of days then you may need to take cave out into a bucket of tank water and see if that makes one or both leave the cave.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
definately not another female, she was right at the back of the cave .... then the eggs.... the the male half out the cave entrance. Strange as females usually go into the cave backwards to lay the eggs but she was face first????

anyway i got stressed as he was really pushing the eggs and female to the back of the cave and last thing i want was for the female to get squashed or injured so i removed them all into a bucket and after about 30 mins of messing about got the male and the eggs out and the female was still in the cave so that went back into the main tank, within 5 mins she was out and back in her usual hideing place.

i got the empty cave back out, put the eggs into the cave and left it in the bucket with the male. within seconds he was back in the cave so cave, male and eggs all went into the main tank as well. left them too it and just checked them and to my supprise the male has the eggs in his mouth still fanning away. we will see what happens, i wouldnt be suprised if he munches them or kicks them out now after being messed about but at least the females now out and safe. fingers crossed for the eggs

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
Well done, that's a great result from a very tricky situation, never mind the eggs, though if the male keeps looking after them i think they will be fine, but that situation could have ended a lot worse :D

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Good news my young padawan, you learn well:D. Never experienced it myself but never had a hypan double spawn until last week.

Fingers crossed mate

Cheers

thegeeman

Mark

Jul 30, 2009
Boston Spa, U.K.
great

Great result. Just shows the strength of the male's instinct to guard his eggs. You made the right call to try and rescue the female, at the end of the day its more important to protect the adults than worry about rescuing a spawn.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
quick update

adults are all good, found a few fry in the main tank today so after all the stress he didnt munch them all

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
great news, perhaps he was just cleaning them in his mouth.
amazed you could see that, my plecs choose caves so tight you can rarely see if any eggs never mind if he had them in his mouth!
well done

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
great news, perhaps he was just cleaning them in his mouth.
amazed you could see that, my plecs choose caves so tight you can rarely see if any eggs never mind if he had them in his mouth!
well done
yeah they mouth the eggs to pass water over them to stop them fungusing instead of fanning like bns etc do, all of my hypans do this :yes:

the original cave was tight, very very tight but when i removed him i put them in a bigger cave so i could keep an eye on them