Is there a one does all fertilizer?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I have some anubias which although the leaves aren't actually yellow, they aren't a real lush dark green either, except for the veins.
I followed one of the planted tank links and looked up possible defiencies but it could be iron, could also be potassium or even something else.

Is there a broad sort of pickmeup fertilizer which covers the lot?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
johnny70 makes up his own daily fertillizers and they work really well, not sure he can ship the dry mix to Aus, but he may be able to show help you mix your own up

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
The recipe in Johny70's post would work, as it supplies all the macro and micro nutrients needed for plant growth, if you just want to treat the symptoms you've got of green veins and yellow leaves "interveinal chlorosis" is either magnesium (Mg) or iron (Fe) deficiency.

You can treat the magnesium with "Epsom salts" (magnesium sulphate) and the iron with iron chelate (FeEDTA), the cheapest form of iron chelates will probably be as "Sequestrene" or similar for watering on Azaleas, Gardenias, citrus etc. You can't used an iron compound (like iron sulphate), as iron compounds are mainly insoluble, and the Fe2+ ions will form iron phosphates etc. and precipitate out, it has to be "chelated".

You can buy aquarium ones, but they will be very expensive compared to buying the compounds themselves.

Iron deficiency <http://www.uky.edu/Ag/kpn/kpn_09/Images/032409 Hartman Rhodo Fe deficiency (Kaiser) H17-73.jpg>

Magnesium
<http://www.agnet.org/images/library/bc53002f4.jpg>

The other problem is that Anubias are very slow growing, so if it is iron deficiency only the new leaves will be dark green, and won't effect the leaves it's already got. However if it's magnesium you should see an instant effect, as magnesium is mobile in the plant and will move to the deficient leaves.

I'd try Epsom salts for starters, you want about 20ppm (mg/l) magnesium, if that doesn't show any effect try the iron chelate, for iron you need a very small amount only 1 or 2 ppm. PM me with what it says on the containers you bought and I'll do the calculation for you if your not sure how to do it.

cheers Darrel

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
ill-treating hydroponic plants

Hi all,
Thanks Shenzhenluohan, ill-treating hydroponic plants (legal ones) used to be my day job. Quite often we used to work on deficiency symptoms, so I got used to making up the hydroponic solutions with all the constituents rather than just using a complete "tomato mix" or similar. Hydroponics was also where I got the idea for the over tank trickle filters, (made from things you use for hydroponics - guttering, filled with Hydroleca, and the plants planted in Rockwool).

I must admit if I want to bulk some aquatic plants up, or they are looking a bit yellow, I do occasionally add some hydroponic growing solution (these are based on "Hoaglands" or "Long Ashton" solutions), although they are not ideal as plants like their nitrogen as ammonia, so probably not the best thing to add to your fish tank. Pete's recipe, PMDD or PPS are a lot safer.

cheers Darrel

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Ahhh, the epsoms salts makes a lot of sense as I my water is very low at ph6. A bit of epsoms would help the adjust my water and help the plants at the same time.
Best of all, it won't hurt my pocket, gotta luv that. :D