its been a mad week

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
:yes:

over the last week i have had a spawn from my L066 group, a spawn from my L046 group, a spawn from my L411 group, my L262 are showing signs so fingers crossed for them :clap:, My panda cory, Axelrodi & Adolfi have also been spawning as well :woohoo:

All i need now is the Sterbai and my L201 to get going

Alex

May 4, 2009
Bedfordshire
Lucky you Kev :cool:

I got excited this morning when it looked like there were two 129s in a cave, but turns out there was only one in there lol.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Lucky you Kev :cool:

I got excited this morning when it looked like there were two 129s in a cave, but turns out there was only one in there lol.
they will spawn soon enough mate :thumbup: keep up the water changes and youl soon have eggs

I'm jealous
lol mate, it goes in fits and spurts. sometimes i dont have any luck for months then it all goes mad for a while.

removed the fry this morning from the Male and now have them in a trap, within 2 hours he now has a second female trapped and is doing the shimmy thing :woohoo:

ryannxs

May 3, 2009
london
nope weathers been good

very heavy feeding and 20% cool daily water changes in every tank seem to have triggerd them all :yes:
when you say cool, how cold we talking? i havent succesfuly bred anything my self and am looking for advice. often hear about cold water changes. do i have to drop the temperature of the tank via the heater or just add cold tap water and let the tank get back up to normal temperature?

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
when you say cool, how cold we talking? i havent succesfuly bred anything my self and am looking for advice. often hear about cold water changes. do i have to drop the temperature of the tank via the heater or just add cold tap water and let the tank get back up to normal temperature?
my breeding tanks are kept between 28-30C. I tend to turn the heaters off before doing a water change, do a 20% change with water about 4c colder than the tank water temp. then leave the heaters off for a while untill the tank has dropped to around 23c, this usually takes a good few hours. It is all done gradually so not to stress the fish. I dont do this every change, usually once every 3-4 weeks or so i turn the heaters off and let it drop

im sure others have different methods but this is how i do it with great success :yes:

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Congrats. I drop my temp to 28 from 31 during a water change but have not tried turning the heater off, will give it a go.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Wowee, you are having fun. Don't forget to let us know how to raise fry and stuff. You got step one out of the way which is further than most of us can get. :)
all my fry from previous spawns have just been kept in a breeding trap for around 4 weeks being bed on crushed tetra doromin, hikari waters & earthworm pellets. Regular water changes then whey i feel they are big enough either moved to my growout tank or released into the parents tank :yes:

soloot

Jun 12, 2009
Great work, always wonder about the heater situation and you have answered all my questions. You guys are great on this forum.

"Knowledge is no weight to carry"

Thanks heaps for this post.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
had a double spawn yesterday from the L411 group. 2 different males, 2 different caves now fanning 2 clutches of eggs...... more females are sat ontop of the caves waiting to get in and spawn as well lol

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
That sounds great Kev

I still have around 5 of the fry from the group u had off me they are getting large now

Regards B the slim

I

intrepidmax

I have been staring at this thread all day lol.......and thinking......how spawny is he (excuse the pun lol) totally awesome mate... You have some amazing luck and Im really happy for you. I get some trappings from the transvestite L199s but hey that's as far as it goes......Now Im just looking forward to my new fish house (maybe multiples) problem is my life is so hectic Im un-able to do a water change everyday. as of the 22nd of this month im under a poncho in a sleeping system watching the night sky lol. things are a constant change and at break neck speed so Im not 100% if im going to be able to be at yours at the end of the month......but my missus will have all the dosh and has your postcode. she knows I want L411 and I reckon that will be the best birthday present ever.....unless you gee and windy have arranged my L250 lol.....pmsl.

Hey Kev thanks for all your help mate its appreciated and well done.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
great news, not sure where you are in the UK but we have had some good spawning weather, highs and lows. another low due in here tomorrow.
do you move the water from spawned tanks to other tanks waiting to spawn.?
I have heard it helps.?

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
great news, not sure where you are in the UK but we have had some good spawning weather, highs and lows. another low due in here tomorrow.
do you move the water from spawned tanks to other tanks waiting to spawn.?
I have heard it helps.?
im down south west and yeah the weathers been up and down loads over the last week but it hasnt helped with any of my other breeding tanks lol. the zebs and king tigers are due around now though so fingers crossed they get the hint :yes:

i havnt tried transfering the water across to other tanks but have heard it can help because of the hormones released by fish during spawning periods. maybe i should try it with my L262s as they dont seem interested in the slightest :(