L066 eating eggs

hullfishman

Apr 26, 2009
hull
hi guys, yesterday my L066 spawned but today the eggs are gone. my king tigers have spawned 10-12 times over the last year and every spawn has been eaten or kicked out :wb: . what should i do? why does he do it ?
thanks
dave

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
hi guys, yesterday my L066 spawned but today the eggs are gone. my king tigers have spawned 10-12 times over the last year and every spawn has been eaten or kicked out :wb: . what should i do? why does he do it ?
thanks
dave
Hello Dave. IME I have had eggs eaten because the male is either hassled by another male or gets spooked by people checking on the eggs. If you have no where to put the other male I would consider next time they spawn moving the male and its contents into a breeding trap. I do get eggs eaten sometimes on the first few spawns but never 10-12 times. I now only keep 1 male per breeding set up and get far better hatching rates.

Goodluck and dont give up

Cheers

thegeeman

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I agree, something is disturbing him, tell us more about the tank, set up and contents, other fish, photo if poss etc etc

hullfishman

Apr 26, 2009
hull
there are 4 females in the tank that always seem gravid at the same time, today i have another female trying to get into the males cave, could the females be the ones stressing him out? i am toying with the idea of splitting them into 2 groups. my water parameters seem ok , ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate minimal, daily 10% w/c , plenty of caves, temp is 27, ph 7.0 i do a weekly gravel vac. im not really sure what im doing wrong, only tankmates are a pair of apisto trifasciata.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
there are 4 females in the tank that always seem gravid at the same time, today i have another female trying to get into the males cave, could the females be the ones stressing him out? i am toying with the idea of splitting them into 2 groups. my water parameters seem ok , ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate minimal, daily 10% w/c , plenty of caves, temp is 27, ph 7.0 i do a weekly gravel vac. im not really sure what im doing wrong, only tankmates are a pair of apisto trifasciata.
Yeap it could also be the females Dave. Well worth splitting them if you have room. I would eek the temp up abit to 28 if I was you

Cheers

thegeeman

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
One thing i have noticed while hatching loricariidae is they will often eat the eggs when food is added to the tank so they don't have to leave the cave.
May be worth lowering your feeding while he is in the cave, and do lift your temp as this speeds up the hatching rate and metabolism.

hullfishman

Apr 26, 2009
hull
got them in a fry saver now so we will see if my ability to raise them has improved, they still have a lot of yolk left so they must have been hatched a day or 2 at most.
thanks for all the replys guys
cheers
dave