L081

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
He loves his cucumber and now carot and peas.
He's got the carot to himself, no other fish in the tank will touch it, unlike the cucumber.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
lol cool, carrots can be hit and miss. Try to lay off the cucmber a little as they aren't very nutritious at all. Watch this space for a vegetable article coming soon :D

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
so what is the best nutritious veg to put in my tank?
looked in my tank and both of my zebra snails are all over the carrot..:wb:

Last edited:

Paul

Oct 3, 2009
Hampshire, England.
Most Nuggets seem to go nuts for couchette and from what I've heard it's better than cucumber. I've had mine a year and I'm still yet to actually see him in the open eating though lol. But whenever I catch a glimpse he's got a belly on him so he's eating somewhere!

Paul

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
going to try some Courgette in a mo.need to do it before i go to work,so the lights will still be on for 3hours.i don,t think he cares if the lights are on or not after seeing him eating the cucumber in the day time the other day.
i know you should add them in the evening and remove in the morning but cos of workin night shifts the veg will be in there around 16 hours.
is this to long?i will be doing a 10% water change tomorrow when i get up,should i remove the veg when i get in, around 6am tomorrow?

Last edited:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
WOW....big :thumbup::thumbup: to Courgette.he <3<3 it.
it hit the bottom off the tank and he was on it in seconds.
heres a pic:

even perry had a go at it.:woohoo::woohoo:
lol and now my betta is havin a go to.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Nuggets are Baryancistrus
This group of fish will mainly eat algae and extract the small insects in the algae.
Fish in general tend to eat what is around and over time each Sp has developed to eat what is available in the area; those that could not adapt were removed by nature.
The investigation of the stomach of a fish will show a predominance of what is around. One major problem that is now less of an issue is the feeding of foods contain protein and meat to fish from the group Loricariidae
Some Sp like the more meat eating one ie Pseudacanthicus species ect are fine with a diet of prawns ect, give the same diet to any fish from the Ancistruss family and it will over time kill them as meat takes longer to break down and contains bacteria that is dangerous to fish that survive on mainly vegetable matter.
Baryancistrus are quite a large fish when fully grown they need a large amount of protein which the gain in the form of the small insects and invertebrates living in the algae

I have kept several sp of these amazing fish and seen them grow rather slowly in all cases. A diet of small inverts and greens are about the best in my opinion.

Most of the group grow to around 8” to 10” this sounds small but you will need a 5 foot tank to keep a fish that is around 10” in

Regards Bob