L134 male being hassled

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Hi guys,

I have a male Leopard Frog sitting on eggs/fry. I saw them spawn a week past Thursday. This is his second spawn within a month. I have about a dozen three week old fry in a trap.
As I watched last night, to my horror, another plec blocked off the cave and then tried to get in. I'm not sure on the sex of this plec, but I do know it is not a gravid female.
I really wanted to leave the male to it as he did just fine last time, but I am now worried he will squash/eat the fry.

What do you think I should do ?

I would value any advice from more experienced breeders here.

Thanks
Elaine

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Its a tough call. You could remove the plec thats trying to gain entry but in doing this you run the risk of spooking them male anyway:(. The other option is to sit tight and watch whats happening and hope the male doesnt get spooked by the plec thats hassling him.

If it was my decision to make then I would sit tight and see what happens but it is a very tough call.

Goodluck

Cheers

thegeeman

windy

Apr 24, 2009
cardiff
i would remove the fish
he will keep disturbing the other male which might cause him to kick the eggs or youngsters out

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
I'm with Windy, i would remove the plec that is trying to gain entery.

Just a suggestion, but if you have a spare tank, and know which is the breeding female, you could give the pair a tank of their own.

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Thanks all for the replies !

The plec was at it again last night. This time the male came most of the way out of his cave and gave it a real tail lashing. The plec darted into the cave next to him. Both hands in the tank before I had time to really think about it .... but I managed to get the cave and plec out.
Everything seems to have quietened down now .... thank goodness !
Dad is still fanning away like mad, so maybe it will turn out ok.

I have two females that have spawned lately, so rather than move them I think I may move on a few of the other adults. I don't want to upset the ones that are breeding.

andyj

Apr 25, 2009
Derby
Hi Elaine, are these the L134's you got from me ?!?

If so, congratluations.... :D Just typical that they decide to spawn after I've sold them !!! lol

As for the bullying, I'd definetly remove the offender, and leave the male to fan in peace....

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Found a baby scooting about on top of the male's cave last night. At least I now know for sure he has fry in there. He's had it completely blocked off and I have resisted the urge to 'take a peek' LOL !
I think this little one must have squeezed past dad, as I've scoured the tank and can't see any more. With the last spawn he released a few at a time. Seemed to be just as it was starting to get dark I would find them roaming the tank. He did this for a good few days until they were all out.
The fry still has a bit of the egg sack visible and isn't as coloured up as the ones before. Think it should still be a good few days before the male starts to let them out. Just need to watch out now for the odd 'escapee' LOL !

Andyj ...... Not your guys I'm afraid. I haven't had anything from them yet. The ones that are spawning I bought as wild caught adults about 18mths ago now.
Been a long wait, but well worth it !

Thanks a lot for all the good wishes.
Elaine

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
Nice one Elaine. I think at least one of the ones I got from you is female and has spawned. Your ones have really dark blacks and bright yellows. The 2 best looking 134s in the tank!