L134 spawn

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
My L134s have spawned for the first time! My alpha male has had my biggest female trapped for a week now, and last night I noticed that the male I got from Mikelouth a few weeks ago had a female trapped as well. I think the female may be one of the Jeff Rapps ones I got from Elaine.
Anyway, I went to check on them this morning and the cave that the newer ones were in only had the male left in it. I shone a torch up the cave and there's eggs. I will let him get on with it now and give him peace and quiet to hopefully look after his eggs.
I've been collecting these plecs for 2 1/2 years now and trying to spawn them for 2 years. I suppose the perseverance and patience has paid off. :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

816johnv

Jun 30, 2009
Hull UK
Well done :clap::clap:

wish i still had mine :~:)~:)~( im going to get them back off my mate as soon as i can though

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
Thanks guys. I hope the eggs make it. Everything seems fine so far. I take it the eggs take 5 to 6 days to hatch? And can someone recomend what I do nearer the time for the wrigglers to leave the cave? Do I just net them whenever I can? Or put the cave in my fry saver complete with dad when they start to leave the cave?

Well done on the spawn mate, any details? water, temp, setup?
The only parameters that I've checked are Temp 27 and TDS 160. Although I did have the TDS up to 250 about a month and a half ago followed by a big cool waterchange, but I didn't have any luck then. And I done a 3 week treatment with Flubenol 15 starting a month ago, followed by another large waterchange. Then a tank stripdown last week to clean all the crap that had built up between the piles of Bogwood and slate. The caves are homemade slate with an opening of 25x35mm and 150mm long.

About time Pete:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:.

So now youve spawned them whats next?:D:D

Once I've sold about 2000 youngsters I might have enough money to buy one of those breeding groups of Zebs on Fleebay. :yes:

thegeeman
Cool spawn B-) B-) B-)
Trapped for a week !!!!!
That's a session :lol: :lol: :lol:
That one is still trapped, and she has been trapped for a month before by 3 different males in 3 different caves! I hope this one spawns soon too.

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
Had a peek in the door today and seen the male hanging out of the cave, so put the tank lights on and he's eaten the eggs. :wb::wb::wb: Not sure when this happened as I left the lights out all week and only been doing small water changes and not paying any attention to them, just to give them peace and quiet.
The other male and female are still in the other cave. That's been nearly 2 weeks. I'm not sure what to do with them to get them spawning though.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Had a peek in the door today and seen the male hanging out of the cave, so put the tank lights on and he's eaten the eggs. :wb::wb::wb: Not sure when this happened as I left the lights out all week and only been doing small water changes and not paying any attention to them, just to give them peace and quiet.
The other male and female are still in the other cave. That's been nearly 2 weeks. I'm not sure what to do with them to get them spawning though.
gutted mate, i had the same thing with a L262 spawn this week :wb: slightly annoying :yes:

id try a few cool water changes to spur on the others see what happens

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
sorry Pete, only just seen this, it sucks that he ate the eggs, but many congrats on getting that elusive first spawn mate, thats the hard bit done, hopefully he'll be a better dad next time round