Location(if pick up only)?: darra

PM

jawist

Oct 13, 2009
Parramatta Sydney NSW
these r a more golden in colour and yes have blue/black eyes
and look amazing compared to our albinos , and yes have seen these here
:thumbup:
AKA ,, GBA s , golden bristlenose ancis.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Hard to tell from those photos. Pity the top pic blurred, it looks pretty close to a L144.
Even if they are false L144 and sp4, they are still as rare as hens teeth in Australia.
Price is a bit high for me though.

WhatThePlec

Jul 14, 2009
Melbourne, AU
You guys have heard of leucistic right? If I realised I could sell leucistic bn's at $700 a go I'd own my house outright.

These are basically albinos without the full albino gene (hence the non red eyes). They are somewhere between marble bn and albino bn (and my old marble male would often have albino fry with normal eyes when he bred with the albino female). There is a good chance I have pictures somewhere, I will try and locate them.

May 24, 2010
Gold Coast
L144 are a really nice fish. They do look different to the normal BN in person. They even look to have a slightly wider/thicker head. As mentioned are a more yellow colour with bright blue eyes.

I know there are both short fins and long fins getting around in the L144. Both look really nice.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
there was a unique pair of albino bn sold over 1-2 years ago on plecofanatics which went for around $800... they spat out fry with 50% blue eyes and 50% pink eyes.... the male fish had black patches on it and dark eyes from the photos... fry were going for around $50 each then....
surely someone must have this pair or at least some of their fry????

:wb: stupid me should of bought them.... lol...

sorry to be a pain but can we see more pictures please.....

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Ok guys, gonna step in here. It is highly unlikely that these are true L144.

The L144 that is commonly sold in shops today is very unlikely to be the true L144. There was an original L144 which was a male, it was initially bred with females of it's same species (different than commons) until the L144 line was developed. Somewhere along time, either the L144 line was bred into the common line or a similar mutation developed in the common line. However, the original L144 line was believed to be a singlular species while the "new" L144 are L144xCommon hybrids or Leucistic Commons.
http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1765

Even in UK and US, all the fish known as L144 are as above, personally I havent heard of any true L144 being exported at all.

WhatThePlec

Jul 14, 2009
Melbourne, AU
or Leucistic Commons.
:clap:

Like I said previously, I had a marble male that when spawned with the albino female I had, there was often a few fry that came out black eyed. I can't find any pics on the computer, there may be some on my old phone but I really can't be bothered digging that out of whatever drawer it is stuffed away in.

dog can verify this, I'm sure he has actually seen my black eyed albinos with his own eyes.

wtf

May 13, 2010
brisbane
there was a unique pair of albino bn sold over 1-2 years ago on plecofanatics which went for around $800... they spat out fry with 50% blue eyes and 50% pink eyes.... the male fish had black patches on it and dark eyes from the photos... fry were going for around $50 each then....
surely someone must have this pair or at least some of their fry????

:wb: stupid me should of bought them.... lol...

sorry to be a pain but can we see more pictures please.....

Hey Bigjohnnofish,

How about theses fish from the pics below are they from the pair that have been sold $800 over 1-2 yrs ago :whistle:??????????

NO TYRE KICKER PLEASE..!!!!!

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I don't get it. If they are the progeny of the two breeders of two years ago who were sold for $800 and the fry were $50 each, why then are these 3cm fish offered for sale 1400% higher in price?