l200 wont eat

Jan 23, 2010
Gillette wyo
what can i do to entice my newest plec to eat? i feed an assortment of veg, but cucumber seems to be the favorite in all the tanks. can i fub it with garlic, does that help?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Garlic juice may help. L200's like courgette with the skin left on. You could stick a couple of algae wafers into the courgette too. But as said could just be settling in.

What does the tummy look like? not sunken at all?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I agree with doodles, courgette is better than cucumber, although cucmber skin is ok, which part is he eating? how long have you had him and what other fish are in with him (this can put him off eating)

Jan 23, 2010
Gillette wyo
i hae only had it 3 days now. Not sure if it was wc or not, its about 4 inches in size. its belly is a little shrunken, thats why im worried. hasnt touched the zuchini yet. tankmates are angels, 6cory cats, 2 otocinclus, and a betta. what is courgette?

Jan 23, 2010
Gillette wyo
oh ok! i think it still needs to adust cuz it hasnt touched cucumber of zuchini either one. Im not giving up yet , i bought some garlic so im gonna try to make up a mix to soak some veggies in

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Did you leave the skin on the zuchini?

Let us know how you get on with garlic

Jan 23, 2010
Gillette wyo
i do but they are all in another tank and alitle large for the tank the 200 is in. the other tank is a tanganican cichlid tank with brichardi. there is also already a L239, 2 bristle nose and a clown pleco in that tank. should i move the green phantom?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
What are the water params of both tanks? ph/kh/gh?

The problem may be the fact that the L200 is WC and not acclimatizing to your water if its very different from the wild.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Ok, how did you acclimatize the plec when you added to the tank?

Im pretty sure now the problem is differing water parameters, what its used to in the wild and your water which is probably hard with a ph of 7.5

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
A thread regarding the issue from another forum:
http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95

You could also try feeding frozen bloodworms, frozen/live brine shrimp &/or something a bit meatier. Might be tough to get it around the angels or corys though. Not the ideal diet for The L200 but in its weakened/malnourished state it provides more calories per meal than veggies which are relatively low in calories. When a weakened/newly imported fish is suffering from the rigors of importation the extra calories can be very important as the plecs was probably starved for much of the capture & transport phase. Once its feeding well & looking full you can transition it back to a diet more well-suited for long-term maintenance.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Cheers for the link Lorne.

Best get some prazi asap, the longer the fish doesn't eat, the harder it is to get back on food.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Metro & prazi are both for internal parasites, each treat for different stuff so won't hurt if used together. I don't personally have any experience with that med but prazi & metro can be difficult to administer as neither are very soluable in water (prazi for sure, metro possibly as well) so i'm not sure how well a powder will work. The med also has a high level of salt which can affect various fish (including some plecs) negatively. Plecs and corys can be about equally sensetive to medications. Since you didn't quarantine the L200 before placing it in the tank it is probably best to treat the entire tank at this point as all inhabitants have already been exposed.