L240

jeannev49

Oct 27, 2009
Ohio
Twas a gloomy day in february when my L240 arrived at my doorstep 5 in all total, I have since lost 1 but have the remaining 4 they are housed in a 75 gallon tank where the temperature is 84 degrees the ph is 7.1-7.2 and I also use peat filtering on tuesday I do a 30% water change and gravel vaccum if they have eggs I do a warm water change, if not I do a cold water change which lowers the temperatue about 5-6 degrees I do another 30% water change with gravel vaccum on friday.
My feeding schedule is as follows:
Every day I feed earthworm sticks, spirulina sticks, and veggie bits,I purchase my food from www.angelsplus.com their foods are fresh and have better ingredients.
Monday-Omega one sinking kelp pellets
Tuesday-*Meat-choose one from list below
Wednesday-Veggie mix
Thursday-Omega one sinking kelp pellets
Friday-*Meat-choose one from list below
Saturday-Baby formula, you can purchase this at www.flguppiesplus.com when feeding this allow it to sit in water for a while untill it sinks then shut off your filters and pour in the food, allow to settle and restart filters
Sunday-Veggie mix

Meat list
Chopped night crawlers, it is best to freeze to avoid spoilage, you can break them in pieces at feeding time.
Freeze dried bloodworms
Freeze dried tubifex worms
Freeze dried blackworms-from www.blackworms.com.au
Krill soft and moist-from HBN, compare ingredients to others
Freeze dried plankton
I get all of my freeze dried foods from www.angelsplus.com
Your probably wondering how I get my freezed dried foods to sink, take a small container I use tupperware, add water heat water in microwave to boiling and then add freeze dried food allow to cool, I shut down the filters with this to.
I'm not feeding large amounts of freeze dried food just a small amount per fish.
Veggie Mix Recipe
8oz. green beans
8oz. spinach
8oz. broccoli
8oz. cauliflower
1 large sweet potatoe,remove skin
1 medium zuccini, remove skin
1 medium cucumber
1 bunch kale,fresh
8oz. plankton-krill flake,from angelsplus
1/2 cup krill powder,from angelsplus
1/4 cup spirulina powder,from angelsplus
1/2 cup baby formula,from flguppieplus
All ingredients are either fresh or frozen no canned food
Grind all vegetables, I use and old fashion hand grinder with a course blade
if you use a blender use the chop setting, you want the mix to be course.
Add dry ingredients one at a time mixing well I mix by hand.
After everything is mixed well put in one gallon plastic bags roll mix out I use a rolling pin or press by hand.to about 1/2 inch, lay flat on cookie sheet and place in freezer, you can then break off pieces at feeding time.
This recipe will make approximently 4 one gallon bags

I use this regimine with all my plecos and my L240 are spawning every month almost to the day.
I've had a spawn on 8-21-09
10-23-09
11-23-09
now if I could get the eggs and fry to survive.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
excellent,
thanks
not sure why fry are struggling - do you leave them with parents ?
maybe the young need lower ph?
you dont mention the tank... is there an air stone or moving water from powerhead/venturi etc to keep oxygen levels high?

jeannev49

Oct 27, 2009
Ohio
L240 fry

I do leave the fry with the parents,but I think this time around I am going to try and take them, filter wise I have a aquaclear 110 and a undergravel filter with a aquaclear 70 and a aquaclear 50 powerhead, it seems that the male watches them for a while because I have seen fry in the tank and then he's
in a hurry to spawn again and gets rid of them, this time around it is only 30 days from the last spawn, the male also initiates the spawning he goes after the female I guess I will just keep trying.:dk:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
next time you get a spawn remove all the other 240 and leave only the male tending the eggs... dont reintroduce untill the fry are leaving the cave voluntarily... then maybe give the male a week to regain strength and go for it again