L397

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I keep mine on a brown clay substrate, They love it n stay good n bright in both their colour bands. They ones in another tank on light normal gravel are not as pretty as the ones on the brown ...

Also a tip on filtration, It is always a good idea to have a sponge filter running as well as the main HOB..it will add to the bio bacteria & saves any worries of failed equipment.:clap:

Last edited:

Jamez

Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane, Australia.
I keep mine on a brown clay substrate, They love it n stay good n bright in both their colour bands. They ones in another tank on light normal gravel are not as pretty as the ones on the brown ...

Also a tip on filtration, It is always a good idea to have a sponge filter running as well as the main HOB..it will add to the bio bacteria & saves any worries of failed equipment.:clap:
Thanks mooo. I think I took your advice on another thread and added an extra sponge filter to my tank. :)

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I bought a new colony of breeding L397. The previous owner had them on bare bottom. Their colors were very dark and the orange was almost a red.
Couple of months on plain old gravel no particular sort (bit of coffs gravel in it) and they are orange again.

Jamez

Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane, Australia.
I bought a new colony of breeding L397. The previous owner had them on bare bottom. Their colors were very dark and the orange was almost a red.
Couple of months on plain old gravel no particular sort (bit of coffs gravel in it) and they are orange again.
Thankyou for sharing this info Brengun, I always appreciate your posts. I think when I have some time I might put a layer of sand or something similar on the bottom of his tank and see if this makes any difference to his colours.

I've been feeding him some zuccini over the last couple of weeks too and it looks like he's starting to take a bit of a fancy on it which is pleasing. Unfortunately he is still not super keen on NLS or Sera wafers yet which is a bit of a bummer but hopefully he comes around.

Jamez

Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane, Australia.
Hey guys. Should I be concerned that my little L397 is not keen on any brand of wafer still? He does love zuccini though, is this enough variety for his long term health aswell as the wood that's in his tank?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi, i am not familiar with this L#, but you asked about wood, what kind is best. Usually i use my fingernail to scrape it, if it is a soft wood you will know . Also, you should be aware that most wood leeches tannins , which is not harmful to your fish, but it does stain the water a light tea color. Some plec keepers prefer this look and some do not. It is a personal choice. So get your wood , lfs are usually a safe buy, and if you dont want the tea color tank water , just boil it till the water is clear. Note, the tannins will stain the pan ,so use one you dont plan to cook with. You may prefer the tea stained tank water and would need to do nothing, perhaps soak it a day if it floats , just to get it to settle on the bottom. The tea color is actually what some plecs are used to in their natural environment, hence some members choice to ''keep it real '' for them . Wood can also drop your ph ,so depending on ur tank size/water collum, and your tap ph (water changes) you may want to keep an eye on the ph. Sorry long answer but i am trying to cover all bases of what i know.

Another thing you would need to ask other memebers familiar with this plec is if he needs a cave. Most plecs need a safe hidey place that is close to their size where they hang out , as in nature, some prefer to hide amongst the wood if u place it stragetically for them and then there are some who prefer hidey places under/between rocks and slate. Might be good idea to find out what type your L digs. HTH, good you are asking questions to make him comfy . Check out some of the members tank photos on this forum to get a better idea.
good luck with him :)
Oh,dont mean to bust on you , glad you found PP to ask questions, but as Big Bird mentioned, it really is a good idea to research the fish you are interested in before purchasing, otherwise it may not be a good fit for your tank, your schedule, and other tankmates, no worries , we are here to help

Georgie

Jamez

Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane, Australia.
hi, i am not familiar with this L#, but you asked about wood, what kind is best. Usually i use my fingernail to scrape it, if it is a soft wood you will know . Also, you should be aware that most wood leeches tannins , which is not harmful to your fish, but it does stain the water a light tea color. Some plec keepers prefer this look and some do not. It is a personal choice. So get your wood , lfs are usually a safe buy, and if you dont want the tea color tank water , just boil it till the water is clear. Note, the tannins will stain the pan ,so use one you dont plan to cook with. You may prefer the tea stained tank water and would need to do nothing, perhaps soak it a day if it floats , just to get it to settle on the bottom. The tea color is actually what some plecs are used to in their natural environment, hence some members choice to ''keep it real '' for them . Wood can also drop your ph ,so depending on ur tank size/water collum, and your tap ph (water changes) you may want to keep an eye on the ph. Sorry long answer but i am trying to cover all bases of what i know.

Another thing you would need to ask other memebers familiar with this plec is if he needs a cave. Most plecs need a safe hidey place that is close to their size where they hang out , as in nature, some prefer to hide amongst the wood if u place it stragetically for them and then there are some who prefer hidey places under/between rocks and slate. Might be good idea to find out what type your L digs. HTH, good you are asking questions to make him comfy . Check out some of the members tank photos on this forum to get a better idea.
good luck with him :)
Oh,dont mean to bust on you , glad you found PP to ask questions, but as Big Bird mentioned, it really is a good idea to research the fish you are interested in before purchasing, otherwise it may not be a good fit for your tank, your schedule, and other tankmates, no worries , we are here to help

Georgie
Cheers for your reply Georgie and your advice about tank decore. The tank I have him in has a medium sized log in it and another piece of wood leaning on top, so I am pretty happy with hardscape of the tank atm. I've used Brengun's photos on this website as a bit of a guide for my tank too. And I will keep an eye on my PH too thanks.

As far as research goes for this fish, I hadn't purchased the fish before I started asking most of my guestions on here (such as what type of wood do they eat etc) and I have been following the advice of this website's 'profiles' for info on other areas of their diet too. However some of the other questions were about problems that had arose after I got the little guy which I hadn't really anticipated.

Jamez

Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane, Australia.
Hey guys. Should I be concerned that my little L397 is not keen on any brand of wafer still? He does love zuccini though, is this enough variety for his long term health aswell as the wood that's in his tank?
So do you guys think that a zuccini and wood only diet is ok for my L397 long term (without a wafer)?

Cheers

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
As he gets a little older he will eventually go for a bit of wafer. If you are concerned about it polluting the water just add half or a quarter of one. You could even add a little bit of vegetable flake too and he will range over the whole tank to find and eat it.

Jamez

Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane, Australia.
As he gets a little older he will eventually go for a bit of wafer. If you are concerned about it polluting the water just add half or a quarter of one. You could even add a little bit of vegetable flake too and he will range over the whole tank to find and eat it.
Ok thanks Brengun. I will just put a 1/4 of a wafer in and see how that goes :)