L418 panaque

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Hello People

Spotted what could be a Shampupa they other day and I am really tempted to get it the only snag is that when I look on PC they show a dozen pics of what looks to me to be totally different fish :huh::huh:. There I was thinking hypans were difficult to Id:D.

The fish was between 6"-10" (couldnt see properly) dark blue or grey body, yellow tips to the fins and yellow/creamy chew although the chew looked like it had been chopped off??(is this for shipping).

Anyone help me on this?

Scatz had a sly look at the fish aswell so obviously it isnt a good price at 65 squid as he would have bought it but nether the less I like it and I am really considering bagging it :D

Cheers

thegeeman

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Theres two different ones afaik, ones the Peru Green and the other one is the Brown. Both are Shampupa's

The L418 is the 'Peru Green'

L welse links

Brown

L418

Anyway I would get it for sure:yes:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
get it.
i would have said it was green with bright yellow tips to the fins and tail, i'd also say 65 is a great price for that fish

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
I think I will pop in there tomorrow:D. I need to remove the background out of the tank first. If the hypans have been busy chewing at it then lord knows what this thing will do to it:eek:hmy::eek:hmy:.

So which one would you say it was then Scatz?

Cheers

thegeeman

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
PC has pics of both as L418.

Its a L418 Panaque sp 'Peru' aka Shampupa
going by Scatz's description

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
sounds good to me!! dont think you get these things on offer very often.
I would see how long the shop has had it and make sure it has been properly QT etc

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
sounds good to me!! dont think you get these things on offer very often.
I would see how long the shop has had it and make sure it has been properly QT etc
Its been in the shop for 2 months and didnt look to have a sunken belly or eyes infact it look really healthy with a big fat head.

I am gonna go for it if I get chance to pop over to them

Cheers for the info you lovely lovely people <3<3

thegeestring

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
oi! it was you that said it was 10"!!
i only saw half of it, but like i said in the shop, i think its the peru green/ shampupa

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I have it on good authority (akoh) that Peru Greens do not have the 'window' on the caudal fin at any stage. Although personally I think that nobody has much of clue and every one is calling them the more exclusive Peru Green instead of L191.

£65 is a good price whatever it turns out to be. Pier had a 10" L191 for £140 (or there abouts) and Wharf had a 9" Panaque cf. suttonorum for £85.

Sam

Apr 24, 2009
Sussex, UK
What is the criteria for IDing these guys?

My Royal is the colour of a Granny Smith apple. (Looked slightly more drab and beige in shop – but has been green since a few days of settling in my tank.)
He’s got yellow tips to all fins, but there’s a deeper width of yellow on his tail than on the other fins. It goes along the whole edge and not just the pointy tips – if that makes sense.
Whiskers are a yellow/lime colour.
I’ve had him from 2 inches and he’s now about 7 - 8 inches. Doesn’t have the transparent window in tail.

Was ID’d on PF as L190.
Just wondering what classes them as Peru Green?

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
What is the criteria for IDing these guys?

My Royal is the colour of a Granny Smith apple. (Looked slightly more drab and beige in shop – but has been green since a few days of settling in my tank.)
He’s got yellow tips to all fins, but there’s a deeper width of yellow on his tail than on the other fins. It goes along the whole edge and not just the pointy tips – if that makes sense.
Whiskers are a yellow/lime colour.
I’ve had him from 2 inches and he’s now about 7 - 8 inches. Doesn’t have the transparent window in tail.

Was ID’d on PF as L190.
Just wondering what classes them as Peru Green?
Any pics? The only dead cert on distinguishing them is the catch location. Peru Green or L418 is from Peru and L191 is from Colombia. Visually its very difficult IMO and very contestable. Until they are scientifically documented, described and catalogued we wont have a definitive answer.

Something that I have noticed is that since L27 has become so scarce since the ban, Peru Green have become the new 'it' fish (amongst panaque anyway) and 9/10 people will say their fish is Peru Green rather than (the seemingly more common L191), compared to a distinct absence of Peru Green a year or two ago. Although, it may be that Peru Green is now being more heavily exported to fill the void left by L27 and thats why their is a sudden influx. Sorry if I appear to ranting but panaque is where my main interest lies.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Went to MH today and the tank is off sale due to the L114 croaking it. Abit gutted I couldnt pick it up but glad my LFS do the right thing and take tanks off sale if they have unexplained deaths.

I will try again next week. I didnt get any pics but managed to measure it at 8" TL.

Cheers

thegeeman

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Is it the L191 that has whiteness on the tail as a juvenile which is absent as an adult?

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
IME the L191 loses the whiteness as it matures. I payed 250rmb for mine or about 25 euros @ 3". the biggest Peru green i've come across over here is 8" and it was going for about 100 euros. I can't wait to see pics.